Print Thread
#217560 16/01/10 03:58 AM
R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Hey there.

I have a huge problem with posts cutting off on the Talk City IRC server.

I don't use mIRC on any other network, so I don't know if that is the issue, but I can't find a setting to fix it.

Help?

G
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
G
IRC messages are limited to approximately 512 characters. The 512 characters includes some data that is not part of your message text (your nickname, host, etc).

-genius_at_work

R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
So, the answer is that I can't fix it?

R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
That's right. You can't fix it, because, under the current structure for messages sent via IRC there's nothing broken.

Eventually the IRC protocols might allow for longer messages, but since a 512 character message is approximately 400 characters for your actual message.
It's been a while, but if I recall correctly the average English word is 5 - 10 characters in length, thus with 400 characters available, that's a message of 40-80 words.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
As a note, if it's your own text being cut off, you can either limit how long your text is, or I made a Cutoff script for someone awhile back that may help you (it'll split your long lines for you so that everything shows up). http://kakkoiitranslations.net/mircscripts/ if you want to try it out. If it's other people's text that is being cut off, they will have to either limit their text for each line or they could also choose to use this script or other cutoff scripts.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
R
Only issue with that one is that they are using a Java interface frown

Thanks for the input smile

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Then it would be good to limit the size of the text box in the Java applet so you can't enter more than ~450 characters... or at least a warning message about that. There is little chance the network will increase the line length and other than changing the Java applet, there's nothing else we can do about that.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net

Link Copied to Clipboard