#200315 02/06/08 08:13 PM
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Hi there,
Is it possible to run more then one copy of Mirc on Vista?

Thanks

Ninko

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Either install them on individual User logins, or else insert a blank mIRC.ini file (or not blank, if you prefer) *INTO* the mIRC installation folder(s). This will force mIRC to save things to the installation folder instead of the user folder. You can also use command line switches to force the use of different settings files, though I personally think that's too much effort. smile

Note that you will probably need full security privledges for every mIRC folder (and subfolders) if you choose to put the mIRC.ini into those folders. Otherwise, Vista may complain whenever you try saving any settings or downloads or whatever else. Whether or not you have to do that depends on where those folders are located. For example, you already have full permission if you were to install it to a folder on the desktop.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
I tryed putting it in the same folder as mIRC, as I do with XP, but Vista don't seem to allow that anymore, it goes off to put the settings file in some application folder...

Ninko

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Then you must not have it in right or something. I use Vista and multiple installs of mIRC without an issue. All settings are stored within the mIRC folders. I'd suggest just trying it again.

Invision Support
N
Ninko Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
N
Do I need to setup full security privledges in Prpgram Files then?

Ninko

A
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
A
Vista cannot write to the Program Files directory (by default). There might be some way to mess with this (google) but in genegal you cannot run mIRC with an mirc.ini inside that path. This is why mIRC changed its behaviour in 6.3+ to properly use the Application Data directory. Move the mIRC folders outside the program files directory and try again. Ideally, if you're trying to store user specific settings for an application they should live outside \program files\ anyway, because that is shared user space. You might be the only user on your machine- but this is how vista (and all OS's these days) works. I have my mIRC in the root of my user folder.

- argv[0] on EFnet #mIRC
- "Life is a pointer to an integer without a cast"
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
You can set up full priveledges for the mIRC folder (wherever it is). Don't do it for the actual Program File folder. As long as you set full priveledges up for the mIRC folder and subfolders, you shouldn't have a problem if mIRC's installed to Program Files. If you do, just pick a different path for it.

Invision Support

Link Copied to Clipboard