Print Thread
#186456 22/09/07 11:27 PM
W
Wolf68k Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
W
With all version before 6.3 all of the files by default were in /Program Files/mIRC/ or where the user installed mIRC. For me that was perfect.

With a fresh install of 6.3 they are stored in /Documents and Settings/Account_Name/Application Data/mIRC/
2 problems with this.
1. They are buried too damn deep to get it
2. By default the /Application Data/ folder is hidden and most the average users doesn't know this or even how to make the files show...hell most are still running Windows with extensions hidden.

Now I see the point of moving the files like this. If a PC has more than one account on it then the one user, then each user can use mIRC with one affecting the other's scripts and settings.

The suggestion here: have the files stored in /My Documents/mIRC/ this is a location everyone knows and each user can get to and if set up correctly one account cannot access to someone elses /My Documents/ folder much less what's inside.

There does come another problem though and this is not one I've tested, and that I just thought of while writing this.
I like to have 2 completely separate copies of mIRC; one I use all of the time and one I like to use to test script with to see how they react to users without having to as someone in the channel to be the guinea pig.
See the problem?

Another suggestion would be during the install to give the users the choice; install the classic method or the new 'bury it deep in your account where you cannot find it unless you know more than how to turn a PC on/off' method.

Last edited by Wolf68k; 23/09/07 12:14 AM.
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
With a fresh install of 6.3 they are stored in /Documents and Settings/Account_Name/Application Data/mIRC/
2 programs with this.
1. They are buried too damn deep to get it
2. By default the /Application Data/ folder is hidden and most the average users doesn't know this or even how to make the files show...hell most are still running Windows with extensions hidden.

- I'd be surprised if many people try to access mIRC's settings by using Explorer. The majority of settings are going to be edited from within the application itself rather than by hand, the only ones people would likely want access to are the downloads folder (obviously) and log files. Even then I doubt most people would go to open these via Explorer. Instead they very likely have mIRC open - in which case mIRC provides access to both via the Tools menu in the menubar. For people who do want to access those folders from Explorer, mIRC's settings can be changed to use a different location for both of those from the Options dialog.

Quote:
The suggestion here: have the files stored in /My Documents/mIRC/ this is a location everyone knows and each user can get to and if set up correctly one account cannot access to someone elses /My Documents/ folder much less what's inside.

- Perhaps mIRC could have the downloads folder default to a subdirectory of My Documents. For everything else it seems like the wrong place.

Quote:
There does come another problem though and this is not one I've tested, and that I just thought of while writing this.
I like to have 2 completely separate copies of mIRC; one I use all of the time and one I like to use to test script with to see how they react to users without having to as someone in the channel to be the guinea pig.
See the problem?

- Do a search of "appdata" on these boards. There are a number of posts explaining several ways to set up mIRC to use different locations for its settings.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I think you'll find that things aren't going to return to the way they were in mIRC. Moving toward the multi-user method is a move in the right direction even for those of us who prefer not to have things in the appdata folder. In any case, you can still use mIRC's folder if you have mIRC.ini in that folder.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
All you have to do is not install to the program files directory and have mirc.ini in the same directory as the exe when you run it, problem(s) solved.

W
Wolf68k Offline OP
OP Offline
W
@starbucks_mafia
You kind of got the point but also missed it.
I wasn't talking about editing the settings, I was talking about doing things like getting to the downloads folder or getting to where the scripts are.
I write a script and I use SaveAs the save dialog window shows me as being in mIRC and all the usual files one might expect to find. But then I want to share the script and maybe I have to zip/compress it first.
Well if I go to where it might be expected /Program Files/mIRC/ they won't be there. Instead they buried under a mountain of folders once of which by default is hidden.

@Riamus2
I'm not asking it goes back to the way it was before. Multi-user accounts thing, yeah fine I get that. I'm asking for an option in the install that would let people choose how all those files are stored; the old/classic way or the new multi-user account way.
That shouldn't be so hard to do.

@RoCk
All I can say is; what the heck are you talking about?
What problem is solved?
Did you read any of it or did you just skim over parts and guess as to what was going on and though "I'll answer this part this way"?

I'm an old hand at mIRC. I've been around it since v2 or 3. Doesn't mean I know everything about it. I still can't write big fancy scripts with.
My point is, this new placement of the files; the default place where scripts are saved, where files are saved (not counting if the server in the settings moves that default location some place else), where basically everything else but for the exe; there has to be a better place than in a folder that by default and Micro$oft's design is hidden to the average user. And it would be nice to either have it stored in a better place like /My Documents/ or to give the user the option of using the old method.
As it is now; when I end up reinstalling my OS, I'll be installing mIRC v6.21 first and then v6.3 just so I'll have everything where I want it, in the old classic place that I know and love. Another reason is that I don't have more than one account on the system so what do I need it in appdata for?

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Originally Posted By: Wolf68k
As it is now; when I end up reinstalling my OS, I'll be installing mIRC v6.21 first and then v6.3 just so I'll have everything where I want it

Why bother with all that when you can just create an empty mirc.ini file in the intended install directory?

There shouldn't be any major issues with navigating to the mIRC folder. The download/log folders are both accessible via the Tools menu. Power users should know enough to type //run $mircdir or use the command line/mirc.ini methods to restore the old behaviour.

R
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
R
Originally Posted By: Wolf68k
@RoCk
All I can say is; what the heck are you talking about?
What problem is solved?
Did you read any of it or did you just skim over parts and guess as to what was going on and though "I'll answer this part this way"?

While I have no qualms with what you're suggesting, I'll go ahead and explain what RoCK said.

If mirc.ini is in the same folder as mirc.exe, then it'll use the mirc.ini in that folder, instead of the one from the appdata folder.

If you didn't understand what I said, here's a little more clarification:

By having mirc.ini in the same dir as mirc.exe (C:\mIRC\ or C:\Program Files\mIRC\) you can use the normal .\download directory, instead of the one in the appdir. smile

In case you missed it when you installed your new version of mIRC, mIRC lets you install it over your old installations. Because of this, it's considered an mIRC "Upgrade" and it will keep your "original" mirc.ini file. smile (meaning, when you update, it doesn't just push everything to the appdirs)

Link Copied to Clipboard