Quote:
With a fresh install of 6.3 they are stored in /Documents and Settings/Account_Name/Application Data/mIRC/
2 programs with this.
1. They are buried too damn deep to get it
2. By default the /Application Data/ folder is hidden and most the average users doesn't know this or even how to make the files show...hell most are still running Windows with extensions hidden.

- I'd be surprised if many people try to access mIRC's settings by using Explorer. The majority of settings are going to be edited from within the application itself rather than by hand, the only ones people would likely want access to are the downloads folder (obviously) and log files. Even then I doubt most people would go to open these via Explorer. Instead they very likely have mIRC open - in which case mIRC provides access to both via the Tools menu in the menubar. For people who do want to access those folders from Explorer, mIRC's settings can be changed to use a different location for both of those from the Options dialog.

Quote:
The suggestion here: have the files stored in /My Documents/mIRC/ this is a location everyone knows and each user can get to and if set up correctly one account cannot access to someone elses /My Documents/ folder much less what's inside.

- Perhaps mIRC could have the downloads folder default to a subdirectory of My Documents. For everything else it seems like the wrong place.

Quote:
There does come another problem though and this is not one I've tested, and that I just thought of while writing this.
I like to have 2 completely separate copies of mIRC; one I use all of the time and one I like to use to test script with to see how they react to users without having to as someone in the channel to be the guinea pig.
See the problem?

- Do a search of "appdata" on these boards. There are a number of posts explaining several ways to set up mIRC to use different locations for its settings.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.