mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Q
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Q
Post deleted by queenmaab01

Last edited by ParaBrat; 01/04/03 08:51 PM.
#17759 01/04/03 08:49 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
All rooms have their heyday and die, it comes with the territory. Some manage to come back from the lull while others die for good.

As for downloading television programmes, it's a no go zone here. They are broadcast on television for a purpose - so you, the viewer, can watch them. Downloading them from the 'Net is taboo because it is a breach of copyright laws.

#17760 01/04/03 08:50 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
We are here to help with mIRC, not be filesharing central. What you asked for, you wont find here. If the "rooms" you refer to were on DALnet, they are no longer allowing channels that have the sole purpose of filesharing. see this web page I understand some other networks have also been putting a stop to this.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
#17761 01/04/03 09:09 PM
Q
Bowl of petunias
OP Offline
Bowl of petunias
Q
Thanks for the information. Sorry, I didn't know that was illegal, just thought it was the same as taping the show and watching it later. That explains why all the rooms were empty. Thanks again.

#17762 02/04/03 04:33 AM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
you're welcome. in case you arent aware of it, downloading from ppl is also a great way to get an assortment of trojans and virii.

#17763 02/04/03 10:54 AM
P
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
It is the same as taping a program off the TV, but there are restictions in regards to this too.

1: The law states that you should never hold a recorded program, for longer than is needed. Interpret this as you will, but officialy, once it has been watched by the intended recipient, it should be deleted.

2: Duplication of a recorded medium is also a no go. The only time this may take place, is during a conversion process, including file type to file type, medium to medium. Afterwards, one of the 2 should be destoyed.

3: The recording of the TV program, was never intended for you to be the recipient. Only if prior agreement can be proved, which is extremely unlikely, due to the filesharing nature of the channel.

4: If filesharing was legal, why was napster shut down.

Suck it, lick it, milk it then put it away.
#17764 02/04/03 11:05 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
How many people do you know that actually follow the copyright laws when downloading or duplicating any material? I have yet to see anyone that I know not go out an buy blank vcr tapes. If it is so bad to copy something then why do they make blank tapes, or discs? Almost everyone records a favorite program for their personal archives and yes even movies.

Quote:
4: If filesharing was legal, why was napster shut down.

Napster got shut down because it got too big too fast, and that a teenager came up with the idea. Everyone and their brother started using Napster to get all of their favorite mp3's or whatnot. So what happened? All the artists started to protest napster...Then napster got shutdown. As soon as that happened more p2p programs started popping up in retalliation of napster being shutdown. But if memory serves me correct, Napster will be back online in the near future to provide the same service except you gotta pay. Why is napster coming back online? Cause it was popular

#17765 02/04/03 11:40 PM
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
heh, i remember when vcrs first came out and tv networks/shows were in a tizzy over ppl being able to *gasp* record shows/movies.

Why would napster come back? easy: before it was free, if it comes back charging ppl, then the record companies/performers get their cut.

#17766 03/04/03 04:08 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I agree it would be so that the record companies would get their cut...All im saying is if it is so wrong to record anything especially off of the tv then why aren't all of the "free television networks" charging people...you would think that would make sense...but if that happened wouldnt people be more inclined to pay for a service that offers 200 + channels?

Its all ridiculous in my opinion....like you said when vcr's came out people were complaining...what about blank audio tapes or discs.. the same thing happened. I couldn't tell you how often i took a blank tape and recorded songs off of my favorite rock station on the radio...The only thing that makes it wrong is the fact that since the internet went up everything became more accessable...therefore the loss of money to big corporations.

#17767 03/04/03 04:16 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
hehe, It's a laugh you know, the multinationals are just playing games with us all. Who once owned all the record companies? They used to be small low-key British, American and Australian companies because thats where all the singers lived.

Who owns them now? Big global giants like ummm... Philips and Sony?

Who owns the patents to the CD formats? Philips and Sony. grin

The financiers of ARIA and RIAA and other record industry associations are the same ones living off the fat of licence fees from the manufacture of CD burners. blush

The conspiracy is now uncovered for all to see.

#17768 03/04/03 04:24 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Well of course im laffing...cause i have an extensive collection of cds and videos smile

#17769 03/04/03 04:25 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
lol.

#17770 03/04/03 08:55 AM
P
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
P
In reposnce to the "not getting there cut for VCR's" issue.

Yes they are getting there cut. After the big VCR kickup, there was some form of tax imposed on VCR's and audio cassets. THis allowed them to obtain there cut.

The difference between filesharing and VCR is so large, this post would go on forever, but here is the jist.

1: With a VCR, you are recording it for personal use. This the same as creating a backup copy of your CD's, and also converting to MP3, so that you can use a personal MP3 player.

2: Filesharing is a medium to obtain files that you don't own. You never bought the CD, so you don't have the right to distribute or hold the file.

Under copywrite law, you can copy material (this applies to digital and paper medium) for research purposes, and a few other assorted reasons. However, you can only copy a limited amount of the material.

IE, even to VCR's, by law you shouldn't record the whole program, as this is classed as copying in full (I wonder if this si the reason why Tivo is a pain and allways missing the last 5 mins :tongue: ).

There are two conditions attached to using and obtaining this copywrite material.

1: You obtain permission to hold/use this material.

2: You obtain it from an official source, be it from a licence holder (copywrite licence, not MS software style licence), or from the main copywrite holder.

In other words, seeing as these firesharing places are neither copywrite or licence holders, it is illegal.

I admit 100% that I do download this illegal material, and denial as denial is part of the problem. However, I do agree that in the interest of law and sensibility, topics asking for help on it should not be allowed (I moderate another popular IRC forum (google my nickname), where we don't allow this either).

Napster did die because it grew too fast, bu saying they killed it off for that alone is rubbish. If linux suddenly became insanly userfriendly, and it's use (and software base) started growing 15 fold over MS.

Would MS try and stop them? YES
Would MS win? NO

Why not? Because the activity isn't illegal, and such actions by MS would be illegal.

Regardless of speed of growth, the size of the customer base, any illegal activity has it coming to them, be it now or a a few years down the line.

Suck it, lick it, milk it then put it away.
#17771 03/04/03 03:17 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes they are getting there cut. After the big VCR kickup, there was some form of tax imposed on VCR's and audio cassets. THis allowed them to obtain there cut.

This depends entirely on where you live though. There's never been a tax on recording media in Australia. The national government did ponder on it but thought the idea would put them out of office so it was never implemented. They decided to tax fringe benefits and capital gains instead because those taxes only affect a handful of people.

#17772 03/04/03 10:46 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Ok if they added a tax to blank vcr tapes, they must have for blank cd's...so basically my downloading is paid for....from the tax collected on blank discs or tapes, the money collected from tax is being distributed to the companies cause i'm filling my discs with music...

Quote:
2: Filesharing is a medium to obtain files that you don't own.

Hence the remark about accessability from one of my previous posts...

I'm just saying..I pay my $40.00 for a hundred blank discs each time I go to the puter store...an I fill em. LOL

grin

Link Copied to Clipboard