In reposnce to the "not getting there cut for VCR's" issue.

Yes they are getting there cut. After the big VCR kickup, there was some form of tax imposed on VCR's and audio cassets. THis allowed them to obtain there cut.

The difference between filesharing and VCR is so large, this post would go on forever, but here is the jist.

1: With a VCR, you are recording it for personal use. This the same as creating a backup copy of your CD's, and also converting to MP3, so that you can use a personal MP3 player.

2: Filesharing is a medium to obtain files that you don't own. You never bought the CD, so you don't have the right to distribute or hold the file.

Under copywrite law, you can copy material (this applies to digital and paper medium) for research purposes, and a few other assorted reasons. However, you can only copy a limited amount of the material.

IE, even to VCR's, by law you shouldn't record the whole program, as this is classed as copying in full (I wonder if this si the reason why Tivo is a pain and allways missing the last 5 mins :tongue: ).

There are two conditions attached to using and obtaining this copywrite material.

1: You obtain permission to hold/use this material.

2: You obtain it from an official source, be it from a licence holder (copywrite licence, not MS software style licence), or from the main copywrite holder.

In other words, seeing as these firesharing places are neither copywrite or licence holders, it is illegal.

I admit 100% that I do download this illegal material, and denial as denial is part of the problem. However, I do agree that in the interest of law and sensibility, topics asking for help on it should not be allowed (I moderate another popular IRC forum (google my nickname), where we don't allow this either).

Napster did die because it grew too fast, bu saying they killed it off for that alone is rubbish. If linux suddenly became insanly userfriendly, and it's use (and software base) started growing 15 fold over MS.

Would MS try and stop them? YES
Would MS win? NO

Why not? Because the activity isn't illegal, and such actions by MS would be illegal.

Regardless of speed of growth, the size of the customer base, any illegal activity has it coming to them, be it now or a a few years down the line.

Suck it, lick it, milk it then put it away.