Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#165619 28/11/06 02:13 PM
A
ashton Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
I'd just like to know if its possible for an IP to block DCC.
I can't DCC on any of my pc's. Have set port forwarding, firewall etc etc...installed the latest version of mIRC etc etc.

#165620 28/11/06 03:32 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Yes, an ISP can block DCC. Colleges do it all the time as do most businesses. Other ISPs sometimes do as well. BT seems to have an issue with this that they are working to resolve. The best option is to contact your ISP and ask.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
#165621 28/11/06 03:56 PM
A
ashton Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Thanks Raimus
Talking to BT support is like talking to a brick wall, I keep getting conflicting answers, one tech says its blocked another tells me its not. I do see other people have the same problem & have posted elsewhere. Unfortunately the dcc problem coincided with me installing the latest mIRC & a new router. All settings have been checked & I'm sure its an IP issue.

#165622 28/11/06 05:52 PM
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Well if it started with your new router and new installationj
of mIRC then I would say your problem most likely lies there.

Go to mirc options (alt+o) > connect > options > advanced button
default port range is 1024-5000 but that's way too many so narrow
that down to like 20 ports first 1031 - last 1050 .. select dcc ..
deselect other .. select use random ports or randomize ports ..
deselect bind sockets to ip then forward those same ports in your
router settings and allow those same ports to pass through your firewall.

If for some reason you cannot forward these ports in your router or allow
these ports to pass through your firewall .. if you're using mIRC v6.17 or
later, you can use the new Passive DCC feature by typing /dcc passive on
this will put the burden of open ports on the downloader until you
can fix your port issue.

Also, while connected to a server, type /localinfo -u to force mIRC
to get your correct WAN IP and host from the IRC server.

Last edited by RoCk; 28/11/06 05:59 PM.
#165623 28/11/06 06:08 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
BT happeneed to block these on the same day as 6.21 came out, its a BT thing, just unfortunate timing, they can theoretically blame 6.21.

btk

billythekid
#165624 28/11/06 07:36 PM
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
W
they couldnt blame it on 6.21 because earlier versions wont work either ?

#165625 28/11/06 09:08 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
Quote:
they couldnt blame it on 6.21 because earlier versions wont work either ?

They could, they would be wrong, but they could.

If you let slip that you updated mIRC they will just say, oh well the new mIRC must have changed something in your own computer, and mIRC is a program we don't support, even going back to the old mIRC may leave the changed thing umm changed. Thanks for calling BT support. Is there anything else I can help you with?

btk(no correlation to bt, k?)

billythekid
#165626 29/11/06 02:58 AM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Thanks for calling BT support. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Yes there is, Im disconnect my service today, as your now in breach of your quality of service terms, and are breaching my privacy by listening in on my comunications. Ill leave your equipment on the front steps for you to pickup, and thanks for answering my call, have a nice day.

I still say paying the bill with a cheque with your signature/account details blanked out is a good answer, when they say they cant cash it, say "Sorry but I dont support that type of problem, thanks for calling. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

#165627 29/11/06 03:18 PM
F
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
F
Hi

For point of reference, it would appear that many UK BT customers are having the same problem.

Having looked into settings and ip's it would appear to be hitting the BT ip 86.xx.xx.xx ranges, not the 81.xx.xx.xx sets.

Use this information to pass onto BT, if any consolidation it's happening to business connections too.

It is also just BT, not mIRC as everything works fine on my alternate connection @ home with main PC.

HTH

#165628 29/11/06 07:25 PM
B
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
B
grin

billythekid
#165629 29/11/06 11:34 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Thats interesting that its not hitting all BT customers, i think that would imply its something in there ISP Routers, since these are all high end jobs, it might be a bad protection filter, i know little to nothing about them but apparently alot of ISP's use filters that search for known torjen or virus signatures and well disconncet the connection they are comming through on.

Maybe a miss directed attempt at removing "evil" dcc sessions is catching there customers. If this is the case they may well be unaware of it in the sence.

#165630 30/11/06 10:24 AM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
my first post here, and im also having this trouble (bt internet)

i have successfully changed my ip range from 86 to 81, problem occurs on both of them, i have sent tech support 5-6 emails and phoned them about 5 times , but there indian, or pakistan tech support doesnt seem to understand a word im talking about, dont quite know if thats because there stupid, or because of my accent.

its very strange, as soon as i try to send, or recieve dcc, its like i get disconnected, but it doesnt say im disconnected, can i verify this is the same problem you guys have? btw this started 5-6 days ago (as far as im aware).

#165631 30/11/06 10:31 AM
A
ashton Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Thats exactly the problem I have, & it did start a few days ago. I too have contacted support many times & having the same difficulties as you. I also message them using the On-line support. Are you able to access the bt.internet.support newsgroup if so could you post a message there it seems UK support read that group.

#165632 30/11/06 12:19 PM
A
ashton Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
A
Sorry, the newsgroup is bt.broadband.support

#165633 30/11/06 01:18 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
i just got it working....

heres what i did, in full, because i dont know if any of this actually helped....

i set the ident server port to 1602
dcc server port to 1601 (and left it disabled)

then i went to : connect->options->advanced, and set this

made sure DCC was ticked (it was)

set DCC port box #1 to 1500
dcc port box #2 to 1510
ticked randomize ports
ticked bind sockets to ip, and put my LAN ip in there (192.168.1.2)
joined MIRC with 2 clients, joined a seperate channel and verified i could see each one typing

then i went into my router options, and forwarded all the ports to 192.168.1.2 and made my ip static (so my brothers comp doesnt use it and steal my port rule)

joined a channel, requested a file download, and it worked right away.

i have only tested this ONCE, im going to try it again now, if it works i will re-post.....lets pray

P.S i dont know how to use newsgroups smile...

EDIT : just tried it on 2 more servers, it worked for me first time on both new servers...

also, to add to this, BT tech support sucks, i phoned them 5-8 times in 2 days, and none of them had any idea, seems if they dont release the program, they assume its my fault, on another side note : i have not changed anything in my router for 3-4 months, and this came out of nowhere, on 3 seperate routers, on all 3 of my comps, so im really doubting it was my setup that was the problem,

maybe it was nothing i changed which has got it working, maybe its the 15 messages i have sent them in 2 days, and the 8 phone
calls...lets hope so.

Oh, and not sure if this is any help but i tested this on my DLINK DSL504T because there "home hub" only supports 3 comps at max (thats one with usb)

any questions, my msn is bignoob@gmail.com

Last edited by Monkeh; 30/11/06 01:31 PM.
#165634 30/11/06 02:43 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
and bang, the problem has came back...i guess it was nothing i did, but something they did, time to phone them again....

EDIT tech support tried to help by taking control of the PC, but he didnt understand IRC or my dlink router i dont think, which is to be understood, he arranged for a "higher" tech support guy to phone me later, lets hope he can give me an explanation.

Last edited by Monkeh; 30/11/06 03:27 PM.
#165635 30/11/06 04:01 PM
A
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
A
Just to add to the fray - another BT customer with exactly the same problem. IRC disconnects whenever a DCC get or send is initiated. How frustrating.

I shall message BT as well to pile on the pressure and help get their attention.

#165636 30/11/06 04:54 PM
M
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
M
ok...its working again now, this is very, very strange, it seems to work, then not work, then work, tech support was supposed to phoned up an hour ago, still waiting, i guess i will end up waiting another day though....

#165637 30/11/06 08:39 PM
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Stop screwing with your settings, stop letting BT screw with your settings, its at BT were the problem exists, they are cuasing it, there is no way on earth all these BT customers all suddnely made mistakes with there setup and can no longer DCC. Its the ISP (by isp i mean beyond your control) and thats that, no matter what they happen to say.

PS: to get a non indian tech support simply ask for one, saying you can not understand there accent, and need a native english speaker, I have never had a problem being redirected to a local regional representitive, dont feel embaressed about it, the companies would rather have you ring once and use a local rep, than ring 6 times because each time you get no where because of language difficulties.

#165638 30/11/06 08:53 PM
M
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
M
After hearing all of your whining, I thought I would give an idea of things from my point of view.

I'm unfortunate enough to be sitting in my business tech support chair at BT now. I've had a lot of calls regarding our inability to handle DCC traffic across our network. I've raised the issue as a major service fault and it has been recognised as an error on our servers.

Unfortunately it's not as simple as diagnosing the fault and pressing a big 'Repair' button, therefore fixing it. Whining at tech support agents won't resolve the issue. It's with BT Wholesale and they are repairing it as we speak.

Also, you won't get through to a British agent just by asking. Our residential helpdesks are based in Bangladesh. Our business support is based in Britain.

As mentioned before, don't mess about with your settings for a quick fix. Changing the port you connect on won't work, and neither will port forwarding. The problem is on our end of the system.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard