Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
a couple of days ago people try to access my server and it won't work. A user told me the following:

if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server,however there is no ~. also he said the 3rd number has to be at least 200 and i think it's 96. I have a wireless cable modem/router but it was working until a couple of days ago. any idea how to fix this problem? i appreciate the help in advance.

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Quote:
a couple of days ago people try to access my server and it won't work. A user told me the following:

if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server,however there is no ~. also he said the 3rd number has to be at least 200 and i think it's 96.
Nonsense.
Quote:
I have a wireless cable modem/router but it was working until a couple of days ago. any idea how to fix this problem? i appreciate the help in advance.
Do you have your DCC ports forwarded to your computer? And mIRC bypassed in any firewall?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Quote:
if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server [snip]

The ~ indicates that identd is not enabled. If you have it turned on, and still see the ~, then something is blocking identd. People often assume ~ or your identd settings is blocking your dcc sends, but it is not the *cause* of dcc-send problems, it is often the victim, along with dcc send, of whatever is blocking your dcc sends. You enable the identd port 113 the same way you enable your dcc-send ports, so something blocking one often blocks the other.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Did you forward the dcc ports to your pc in the router?
And if so are you still on the same IP as your pc was on when you forward them? (test using /LOCALINFO -h wait 5 seconds //echo -a $ip /LOCALINFO -u do while connected)

This maybe usefull > www.portforward.com for setting up a router and setting a static IP

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i can do the /localinfo -h thing on my own it's just no one can get in it still.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
anyone?

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
Do you have your DCC ports forwarded to your computer? And mIRC bypassed in any firewall?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
the only thing i have up as far as firewall goes is windows firewall that came with Windows XP Service Pack 2. would this be the problem?

F
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
F
That's one - your router is the other. Go to http://www.portforward.com. Find your router, then look at the instructions for DCC and IdentD. You should turn the Windows firewall off if you're using a router - it's just a waste of CPU cycles.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i've already been here and i had it set up but now it's not so i don't know what to do.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i guess i'll never get this server working. frown

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
hello?

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
/localinfo -h
^ that means set ya IP to the LAN ip, no one can reach you then

/localinfo -u
^ that means set your IP to the WAN ip (your internet ip normally), and then when people try and get in they reach the router, that must then forward the ports to your pc.

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
so by typing /localinfo -u people should be able to access my server?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
/localinfo -u
updates your host/ip in case they have the wrong values.
Are you able to open a dcc-chat window with someone? /dcc chat NICK
Are you able to dcc send a file to someone? /dcc send NICK versions.txt
Were you able to dcc send before?
That tells us whether it's a problem relating with just the fserve, or also with dcc's in general.

If you're sure your router has been set up to make dcc's, make sure you haven't been dynamically given a different ip address than before. ie your ports forwarded to 192.168.1.101 but your ip is now 192.168.1.102

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
when i typed /localinfo -u it says the same thing it does before i type it in. frown i'm confused.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
and regarding the other questions i asked?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
what do you mean?

P
paulgr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
P
i did about everything you told me so far and i can't access it. Perhaps if you can find a time,maybe you can come on my dalnet channel i'm on and maybe you can help me figure this out faster.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
localhost was only my first sentence. I also asked:

Are you able to open a dcc-chat window with someone? /dcc chat NICK
Are you able to dcc send a file to someone? /dcc send NICK versions.txt
Were you able to dcc send before?
That tells us whether it's a problem relating with just the fserve, or also with dcc's in general.

If you're sure your router has been set up to make dcc's, make sure you haven't been dynamically given a different ip address than before. ie your ports forwarded to 192.168.1.101 but your ip is now 192.168.1.102

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard