mIRC Homepage
a couple of days ago people try to access my server and it won't work. A user told me the following:

if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server,however there is no ~. also he said the 3rd number has to be at least 200 and i think it's 96. I have a wireless cable modem/router but it was working until a couple of days ago. any idea how to fix this problem? i appreciate the help in advance.
Quote:
a couple of days ago people try to access my server and it won't work. A user told me the following:

if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server,however there is no ~. also he said the 3rd number has to be at least 200 and i think it's 96.
Nonsense.
Quote:
I have a wireless cable modem/router but it was working until a couple of days ago. any idea how to fix this problem? i appreciate the help in advance.
Do you have your DCC ports forwarded to your computer? And mIRC bypassed in any firewall?
Quote:
if a ~ appears before your name it blocks access to your server [snip]

The ~ indicates that identd is not enabled. If you have it turned on, and still see the ~, then something is blocking identd. People often assume ~ or your identd settings is blocking your dcc sends, but it is not the *cause* of dcc-send problems, it is often the victim, along with dcc send, of whatever is blocking your dcc sends. You enable the identd port 113 the same way you enable your dcc-send ports, so something blocking one often blocks the other.
Did you forward the dcc ports to your pc in the router?
And if so are you still on the same IP as your pc was on when you forward them? (test using /LOCALINFO -h wait 5 seconds //echo -a $ip /LOCALINFO -u do while connected)

This maybe usefull > www.portforward.com for setting up a router and setting a static IP
i can do the /localinfo -h thing on my own it's just no one can get in it still.
anyone?
Do you have your DCC ports forwarded to your computer? And mIRC bypassed in any firewall?
the only thing i have up as far as firewall goes is windows firewall that came with Windows XP Service Pack 2. would this be the problem?
That's one - your router is the other. Go to http://www.portforward.com. Find your router, then look at the instructions for DCC and IdentD. You should turn the Windows firewall off if you're using a router - it's just a waste of CPU cycles.
i've already been here and i had it set up but now it's not so i don't know what to do.
i guess i'll never get this server working. frown
hello?
/localinfo -h
^ that means set ya IP to the LAN ip, no one can reach you then

/localinfo -u
^ that means set your IP to the WAN ip (your internet ip normally), and then when people try and get in they reach the router, that must then forward the ports to your pc.
so by typing /localinfo -u people should be able to access my server?
/localinfo -u
updates your host/ip in case they have the wrong values.
Are you able to open a dcc-chat window with someone? /dcc chat NICK
Are you able to dcc send a file to someone? /dcc send NICK versions.txt
Were you able to dcc send before?
That tells us whether it's a problem relating with just the fserve, or also with dcc's in general.

If you're sure your router has been set up to make dcc's, make sure you haven't been dynamically given a different ip address than before. ie your ports forwarded to 192.168.1.101 but your ip is now 192.168.1.102
when i typed /localinfo -u it says the same thing it does before i type it in. frown i'm confused.
and regarding the other questions i asked?
what do you mean?
i did about everything you told me so far and i can't access it. Perhaps if you can find a time,maybe you can come on my dalnet channel i'm on and maybe you can help me figure this out faster.
localhost was only my first sentence. I also asked:

Are you able to open a dcc-chat window with someone? /dcc chat NICK
Are you able to dcc send a file to someone? /dcc send NICK versions.txt
Were you able to dcc send before?
That tells us whether it's a problem relating with just the fserve, or also with dcc's in general.

If you're sure your router has been set up to make dcc's, make sure you haven't been dynamically given a different ip address than before. ie your ports forwarded to 192.168.1.101 but your ip is now 192.168.1.102
well someone can send me a file,and i have sent someone a file successfully. but when they type my /ctcp for the server it just sits there and won;t connect. other then that i'm not sure what to do,
Quote:
well someone can send me a file,and i have sent someone a file successfully. but when they type my /ctcp for the server it just sits there and won;t connect. other then that i'm not sure what to do,

Firewall/router settings very rarely affect your ability to receive files. Your answer about "have sent" files doesn't make it clear whether you're talking about being able to send before, or being able to send now. It's a big indicator of the problem whether or not you can still send files without using passive-send.
i can't send files. i can recieve,just not send. i could before the router. this stinks.
Since you can't send files but you could before, then that confirms that your fserve problem is very likely caused by the same thing that blocks your dcc-send, so you can likely fix both by fixing 1 or the other.

Did you confirm that this still shows the same local local ip address that your router is forwarding your dcc send ports to: /run command /k ipconfig /all
If your local ip is being dynamically assigned each time you reboot, it's possible you need to simply fix the router to point at ip adress ending with .102 instead of .101 for example. I assume you've already been to http://www.portforward.com

The lazy way to enable both is to use mIRC 6.17-or-higher's passive-send feature "/dcc passive on", but that isn't always a good fix, because it requires the receiver to have open ports instead of the sender. This means you'll be able to send to someone else who has opened their dcc-send ports, but someone else who has the exact same dcc-send problems as you - would not be able to send to each other.
on the portforward.com i went there and followed it,and it fixed it as far as finally getting logged in to MIRC as it took me a few weeks to figure out how to log in mirc after the wireless was hooked up,but now i get this. the ip address has and is the same 192.168.0.1 I don't know what to do at this point. i typed in the command you said and it shows that same ip address.
http://192.168.0.1 is where most people access their modem
192.168.1.1 is usually the "default gateway" and they access their router config screen at http://192.168.1.1
the "ip address" is usually in the range 192.168.1.xxx where xxx is a number in the low hundreds.

Are you saying your router config screen shows your dcc ports are being forwarded to 192.168.0.1 ?
well that's what's under cmd. if you are referring to the port forward site,i don't know how to set it up except what i just did. as i mentioned earlier if i had live one on one help on mirc instead of message board posts,i wouldn't have to wait so long in between replies. but tell me what to do again in port forward. i was going to include a screenshot to my login at comcast to show you what that shows but other then that,modifying stuff in mirc is the only thing i can think of.
Quote:
if you are referring to the port forward site,i don't know how to set it up except what i just did.

There are two entries in portforward for mIRC - IdentD and DCC send. You have to open BOTH - port 113 for IdentD and the range of ports you're using for DCC send (in Alt-O/Options/Advanced).

Quote:
as i mentioned earlier if i had live one on one help on mirc instead of message board posts,i wouldn't have to wait so long in between replies.

Is paulgr the nick you use on DALnet? I'm looking for you on Sunday evening at around 8:30 PM EDT, and that nick's not on and not even registered. But, if you go into #mirc on DALnet, someone will help you.

Quote:
but tell me what to do again in port forward. i was going to include a screenshot to my login at comcast to show you what that shows but other then that,modifying stuff in mirc is the only thing i can think of.

I'll bet that your router (and maybe your modem) still isn't set up right. Look for me on DALnet.
i'm here on Dalnet Channel FNar but you aren't here. Come as quick as you can.
Resolved - have fun, Paul.
© mIRC Discussion Forums