Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Hi there. I don't know much about IRC. Basically, I log into a certain IRC chatsite, and everytime I get banned as I my name is probably not registered. I can get partially in, and I have tryed "-> *nickserv* register ****address@domain.com" as an example, but it still continues to say register first. Can someone help on how I can register a nick? Thanks.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Ok, what this means is that you need to identify to a registered nickname before you can join the channel. YOu've done half of it, the registering, now you need to identify to nickserv. On most networks that have nickserv, you can just type:

/nickserv identify <password>

and it'll take your identification and then you can join the channel. Give it a try and see if it works for you

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Still not sure it works. I am actually logging into a place where only admin have registered their nicks and basic people can't get in. Was hoping there is a way around it but can't seem to register myself. Any ideas or workarounds? Bearing in mind it isn't a channel where you can just get in as like I said, it isn't supposed to be open for the public so to speak.

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
Options:
1. Try registering and identifying to a new nickname... first do /msg nickerv register password [email]email@address[/email] (maybe at this point they'll send you an email for confirmation), and then /msg nickserv identify password.
2. Join the network #help channel and ask for assistance on registering your nick and/or joining that specific channel
3. Find a different room to chat in. When people tell you explicitly that you are not wanted there, then you are most likely not wanted *shrugs*

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Same thing comes up. No matter what I do it always says "register first". If I use admin names I still can't get in whereas I use to, but they obviously knew about it and have changed something inside IRC to stop others getting in using the nicks. Obviously nickserv or something. If I use any other name it says k-lined banned thingy and also says that now even with admin names. I have tryed using admin names and it says nickname already in use. In other words, I am still partially connected. But soon as I change nick I result in getting banned. I believe there to be a way around it, but most likely need help from someone who is an expert at IRC. Here is what i get, and always says register first which I am trying to do. Would love to get back in! :
-*** *** *** Checking Ident
-
-*** *** ***- *** No Ident response
-
****** Nickname is already in use.
-
-> *nickerv* register password email@address.com
-
Register first.

H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
you need to issue a correct /pass command to successfully connect to the server with a valid nick.

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
That's my point. The names (admin) I use to use got me in until they sorted it out. Now when I try to log in as them, it just says the name is owned by someone else and nickserv and results in a ban. No matter how many times I try etc, there seems to be no way back in. And most likely cannot create a usernick until I have logged in fully perhaps.

H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
there's no nickserv involved here. the ircd has been modified to only allow logins through the /nick and /pass commands. so when you connect with a valid nick you get the message nick in usage and you know you need to do enter the correct pass using /pass then or otherwise login will fail and you'll get killed/banned. It's a private system and those people obviously don't want you to be there or you'd have valid login info.

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
Ok cheers. But still confused. You still think there is a way in?

H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
Yes, if you have correct login info. how to obtain it? i don't know. try to contact the guys that run the private server. if you can't then you're out of luck.

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I do have the correct info. Just keep getting banned when using their nicks which is the only way to get in.

H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
correct info means: correct nickname and password.

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
The names are correct and so is the password.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
The names are correct and so is the password.

It seems to me that if the nick and password was correct you wouldn't be having this problem, you'd be chatting on IRC. I suggest you contact them and apply for the CORRECT information. If they give it to you, great .. if they do not, you're probably not wanted and need to find another place to go.

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
so you use the correct nick and you do a /pass <password> and it doesn't work?

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
It logs me in and welcomes me but then says the username is already owned by someone else etc and then results in getting k-lined. Before, I use to get it but they have obviously changed something where I can no longer log in as one of them.

H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
can't help you then. try to contact them and get it fixed or get a reason why they don't wont you anymore.

M
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
M
if (and only if) you have the correct information to identify with a nick on that network (meaning you're the legitimate user of that nick), but the nickname is already in use, you can always do a /nickserv ghost nick password in order to remove that user who is "illegitimately" using it. Then you can log in with your nick and your password... if that's not possible, it means that either someone discovered your password and changed it, or that the ircops did that job, and you'll have to look for another network/channel to log in...

Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
H
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
H
the thing is he has not logged in yet. he can only issue nick, user and pass command. that's why he gets the register first message.

G
Gelbs Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
You seem more experienced. How about I give the details and you can try? And see what I mean lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard