mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
I dont know if youre trying to convince me that this option doesnt cause problems? I posted the request because it does. im not confused about it, but thank you for your ideas

Since u seemed to have missed me saying it the first time, ill repeat it here.
The option doesnt cause problems for any well written scripts, just faulty ones whoes authors wrote them without taking care to think about what mirc already does.
Why should mirc normal behavour be changed for 1000's maybe millions of users all becuase a small group of people were ignorant to something that was internal and ON by defualt.
You want your commands to work? Change the leader character from !, and bang they work!, dont go around wanting everyone elses mirc altered to catter for your problems.

DaveC.

ring ring. hello ford motors. yes ford i would like you to change all your cars becuase my over 7 foot friends cant fit sitting up in them. ummm ok sir well file that request in our special intray. ok thanks. click. yeah our special intray called the rubbish bin.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
It wouldn't be changed for 1000's maybe millions of users
if they choose to save their current settings during install
while upgrading, just new installs of future versions. I'm
also willing to bet that this wouldn't effect either you or
Skip whatsoever, especially you since you didn't even
know that this feature existed until this thread. smirk

Even just a command to disable it would be better.

Last edited by mIRCManiac; 30/03/06 09:58 PM.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Im not going to get into a debate about it, either way it doesnt effect me at all, as you have pointed out.
However since mirc has millions of users I think it would be fair to say its possable alot of them wouldnt save settings, as they have never needed to before, and thus find now something that used to work doesnt. So ill say "maybe" it would effect 1000's if not millions, you cant absolutely say it wont.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Well no I can't absolutely say it won't, but if they choose to
not save their current settings then how can they expect
things to work as they did before?

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
I'm also willing to bet that this wouldn't effect either you or Skip whatsoever

Selective reading strikes again.

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Go lay down.

anss Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
Quote:
especially you since you didn't even
know that this feature existed until this thread. smirk

aaaaaaaaahahaa_)! Hows that for irony eh

This isnt a problem, yet it played out in a post you were actually a part of DaveC. You even suggested looking through scripts, as i did when it happened to me. Read my quote from my last post

"Like jaytea said, its very confusing. It happened to me and it confused me for a good while. I was looking through all of the scripts i had loaded, and just could not figure it out. The last thing i thought of was that there was actually an option that sends specifically !nick as a private message!! "

No its not a coiincidence, its very common, and it has nothing to do with illegal filesharing and bad scripts. Its just a bad default configuration. I dont want to argue this

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Quote:
Hows that for irony eh

I suggest you look the word up.

Quote:
Its just a bad default configuration. I dont want to argue this.

Then you should stop saying your opion as if it were fact, this is what I have found leads to arguements in most cases.

anss Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
no my argument is based on facts, yours is based on belief. I have experience with the option, and 1000's of users of the option.

ITS SOLE PURPOSE, is so that a user doesnt have to type "/msg nick !nick". Nothing can depend on this feature being enabled. there is nothing to depend on. It is impossible to cause any problems by disabling it. Though, having it does cause conflicts and confusion being enabled.

!It is a user preference!

Just like "show ping pong!" was enabled by default. Who the hell wants to watch green ping pongs scroll up their status window every minute? He finally disabled it, and nothing depended on it i promise you.

Last edited by anus; 31/03/06 05:13 PM.
H
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
H
I don't see a rising need to disable the option by default. Just be thankful it's an option.

D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
Your arguement is based on "so called" facts not in evidence, "facts" you in fact refused to validate. This would lead most sane people to doubt there validility.

Show or dont show ping, is a lot different from take this action or take someother action, to a users input, hardly a comparable example.

The rest of what you said im not even going to talk about, you seem to ignore anything anyone says and repeat the same thing over and over verbatem, so go for it.....

Ill just say, ill live happyly with what ever khaled decideds to do.

anss Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
I dont believe i need to validate anything with khlaled. He knows plenty about the topic. Of course, i would if it would help.

You guys talk about illigitimate users, and "just be glad it is an option", and scripts should do this or that. Its a bunch of nonsesne. You have yet to explain why its better off enabled, other than "people might expect it to be on". What could possibly rely on this being on? That is a question

You havent explained anything at all and ive read through the posts quite a few times. Just a bunch of biased opinions from you. Nothing that could be considered constructive

K
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
K
Fact: it was enabled by default in multiple versions of mIRC.
Statements: Not all users upgrade their mIRC the moment a new version comes out. Not all people throw out all their current settings each time they upgrade mIRC. I have no exact numbers about this, but I for one don't want my settings and scripts gone when I upgrade.

So, basically, even if Khaled invests time to release a new version with this !nick msg thing disabled by default, some people will not be influenced by this change and your problem still exists. However, changing !nick to ?nick filename requires only a small change in the server scripts and command listings. And it has the intended effect, even for those who don't upgrade mIRC, don't overwrite their settings, or don't use mIRC at all.

anss Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
youre talking generally about changing default options. that doesnt apply to this particular option

Ive already factored in as much as knew about the fuction before coming to the conclusion that it is better OFF by default. Thats why i made the suggestion. Khaled knows all about its use in the wild. im asking for him to consider making the change. Its not a major problem either way, i just feel its confusing more people than it should.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard