mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
I would love for all mirc dialogs to go a way and become scriptable settings (In the 7.x) version. It's time to leave the interface design to the scripters... smile

It was a great idea in the begining to give people something to start with, but I think we (veterans) are all experienced enough to make our own dialogs. smile

When designing scripts my biggest gipe is having no control via scripts to settings the users has available to them.

Also, /filter needs output to channel, /window releated commands and identifers should never care about the window type and should work on all windows... smile

Also, not just dialogs/settings/server.ini; toolbar and taskbar control would be nice to...

I know much of this has already been said before (even by me). We might even be able to close this particular forum if all that was added... wink

NaquadaBomb
www.mirc-dll.com
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
For those that are familiar with the different scripting options, I can see your point, however, not everyone is at the same level and those that are jsut starting out need a simple interface, such as mIRC currently provides for scripting.

I, personally, like it the way it is, as it enables people to learn as they go.

As to closing the forum, there will always be people that have suggestions as to how they think mIRC could be made better.

S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
I would love for all mirc dialogs to go a way and become scriptable settings (In the 7.x) version. It's time to leave the interface design to the scripters...

- What about the 50% of mIRC users who have no interest in scripts or scripting and just want a mIRC client?

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
H
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
H
Quote:
When designing scripts my biggest gipe is having no control via scripts to settings the users has available to them.

I agree that it would be super if we could change all of the options via /commands, but as starbucks points out, not everyone uses a script. If I were a new user, I wouldn't want to have to go download some lame script just so i can set an option. Of course, there is always the possibility of including the normal options dialog in the script files in the distrubution. Then again, anyone with their own scripts would have to do something to get those added, which could be quite a lot of work. Still, it's a thought.

Quote:
Also, /filter needs output to channel, /window releated commands and identifers should never care about the window type and should work on all windows... smile

a combination of /filter and /play should be just fine, but if it must be done in one command, i think there are still a few letters in the alphabet that can be used as switches ( maybe -m for msg?). I assume that "/window related commands" means /*line, and I agree that those that can apply to a chan/query ought to.

If I knew now what I will know then... maybe things will have been different...
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I don't like this idea.
I would much prefer it if you could simply bind a command to any key and edit all menus, that way you can hide/stop the options dialog from opening, but it's still included in the exe.

Eg:

Code:
; -b stands for bind.
alias -b S { echo -a You hit S! }
alias -b Ctrl+S { echo -a you hit Ctrl+S! }
menu menubar file {
  ; Your own file menu here.
  &Connect: server
  &Disconnect: disconnect
}

This way you can remake the mIRC menus so they open your own options dialogs, of course this would be much more useful if you could edit the mirc.ini while mIRC is running.

Being able to Add your own menus would also be a plus:

Code:
menu menubar mynewcoolmenu {
  ; ...
}

New username: hixxy
Y
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Y
I would'nt say to *remove* all the dialogs. But I do think that all the options in the dialogs should be accessable via scripts. And the defualt windows should be able to be overridden by scripted windows.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Quote:
Of course, there is always the possibility of including the normal options dialog in the script files in the distrubution. Then again, anyone with their own scripts would have to do something to get those added, which could be quite a lot of work. Still, it's a thought.

Of course then well get tons of posts here complaing that they cant open the options menu anymore b/c they are missing a } on the end of their scripts file.

Link Copied to Clipboard