The only problem I have with this mindset is every time the topic of sharing a file is brought up, every moderator and their brother speaks out "File sharing is wrong, mirc is not designed to share files", yatta yatta yatta. The fact of the matter the option is there, and believe it or not people do have legitimate uses for it. I'd like to (just once) see a moderator not either lecture about the wrongs of file sharing, or point to a previous lecture, and just the help the person.

Now granted, when people come in and point out things like tmd-movies, or specifically state they want to download "dodgeball" etc--yes, there is a sign. I'm not saying help them, but I am saying help those who don't explicity state it's for the wrong purpose.

I'm not that farmiliar with xdcc, and really don't use fiile sharing that much (maybe send a picture or two, or a script I have written for someone in a channel) but from my outlook its another file server. So what's to say they don't have a channel up that is offering help files, or articles authors have written? What if they are making a stats bot for #lobby or #generalchat that just monitors things like "latest articles"? I mean the thought of them just using the xdcc script because it seems like a welll-written file sharing utility just couldn't be the reason, right? I mean they HAVE to be using it to share movies and mp3s and every other (c) material known to the internet.

I don't want to start a war here, I'm just saying give them the benefit of the doubt, not the assumption of misuse. The US has the standpoint of innocent until proven guilty, and is a view I admire. Why can't we yield the same views here?

Last edited by KingTomato; 27/06/04 03:38 AM.

-KingTomato