Quote:
If you think it through, the "well people use XDCC more anyway" approach actually supports the idea that FSERV can be removed from mIRC...

Tried thinking it through, but failed. Removing a feature that is becoming less abused, whilst paying no regard to the people that actually use the feature? So these 'new users' who aren't even aware of the proper function of IRC and mIRC, now dictate what features the client should support? Features they probably don't even use?

The file server can be handy. When I don't want to run/configure a ftp or www server to grant someone access to files, I will use an /fserve. When I want to serve illegal material, I will leave my systems insecure and let the kiddies play. I guess it's a moot point that most of those xdcc servers you see are compromised machines? That most of the posts frowned upon on this board regard downloading? That people can, and will, make their own decisions (and mistakes) regardless?

This type of stance (a stance only, as you yourself concede it will have no bearing on people 'file sharing') is simply a slap in the face to those that DO, or WILL, use the feature legitimately:

Code:
* /fserve has been disabled: oh my you must be a warez kiddie