The thing that bothers me is that this is true.

The FBI is actively approaching writers of IRC and Email and HTTP and FTP clients and servers, offering them tax incentives if they add "compliance" to their software. This includes breakable encryption and access point weaknesses.

The FBI isn't as stupid as it was in '97-'99; trying to pass bills mandating this into law. Instead, they are going directly to software authors with cash money (in the form of tax breaks), using hacker technique and deniability (oh, that was just a bug).

Just look at any public records from the 90's and you will see how urgantly concerned they were about their technological capability to spy on people. Don't think for a minute that they've just given up and decided to do something else. This is what they DO.

Know that the FBI doesn't inform you that you are being monitored. If you are being monitored and engague in questionable activities without caution, expect something to become of it. Don't expect that Carnivore ended with SMTP... the laws which enable Carnivore to exist also permit the FBI to monitor all TCP communication for red-flag words and phrases. Warrants are not required now to investigate someone.

This post has been read by an FBI agent.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!