The way I feel about OSes is just shear boredom, it has nothing to do with any lack of knowledge. That debate is just, well, I haven't seen anything new in a while, at some point you start to recognise a religious debate as one. Micro/Monolithic kernel my behind. I'd chose a *nix server for sheer transparency (wysiwyg), but I really acknowledge people have different needs.

And that the desktop user has different needs altogether. This is a XP box. Why? Because the voice recognition software I _need_ to be able to use any computer for extended periods is only decent enough on Windows. That's it, the other desktops aren't a choice, at all. I could set them up, but I couldn't actually use them. I wish, but I can't. Pragmatics always beat ideals under some circumstances.

Java and C# are so very similar that they could be the same language. But I know the differences, I've read up on the motivations behind them (the developers have a bunch of interesting blogs, I wish the Java developers were as forthcoming), I agree with some, disagree with others, and aren't conclusive on yet other issues. One really isn't objectively better than the other. Same goal, different languages, different tradeoffs. But the C# has a number of years of hindsight to draw on, which has helped some.

And that word, tradeoff, really is important.

And I really don't hate Delphi. But I find Ada more interesting (in the same vein).