I agree entirely, The Game. To me, lamers are the people that are supposedly there to help you (services/admin) who then tell you they can't/won't do anything about the very things they are there to help with. And I'm not talking about them getting into channel 'politics' either. Like you say, they sit there for hours on end idling away looking 'cool', and give sarcastic replies and comments when they do finally deign to speak to you. I'm not suggesting that all admin/service types are like that - just enough of them to put people off asking for help. Maybe that's why so many people come to this board for help? And of course, another type of lamer is your script kiddie, hacker, flooder, spammer sort. The so-called unintelligent lamers that I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread are, imho, what keeps IRC afloat. And just remember, we were all noobs once. It's interesting that in some circles, a noob = a lamer. In respect of the 'best' network, it's the one where you feel comfortable chatting, the one where your friends are etc etc.

Never compare yourself to others - they're more screwed up than you think.