This is because you lack the knowledge of this little message (and I don't think I've ever seen anyone here actually talk about this). Everyone talks about xyzzy as being from the Adventure game, but what does the "nothing happens" mean? It's not about the game, it's about an OS, called AOS/VS which was made by Data General sometime around the late 80's early 90's. Anyway, this OS had an undocumented command called xyzzy, and this command displayed the message "Nothing happens." when it was used. When the 32bit version of AOS/VS came out the changed the message to "Twice as much nothing happens." xyzzy was a "magic word" in the Adventure game, and it was used to complete a puzzle. The game became EXTREMELY popular very quickly, and the term 'xyzzy' became a common phrase to most people who have been working with computers for a while. 'xyzzy' quickly became a word that implied unlocking something hidden, this is probably why the AOS/VS people added it, people assumed it would unlock something hidden in the OS, and therefore the coders decided to make a little joke by making it's hidden feature actually doing nothing. Seeing as how mIRC uses the exact text from AOS/VS (even the period at the end, and mIRC doesn't use periods on any other messages it displays that I know of), so it seems that AOS/VS is where mIRC got it from.

If you don't see the humor in this message, it's probably because you just aren't familiar with the field of 'computer nerd history.' Plus, xyzzy is arguably one of the first easter eggs ever in computer programs, so I'd say it is appropriate.

Oh and PS, for someone who complains when ever someone uses US spellings such as "or" instead of "our" or "zation" instead of "sation" you tend to use a lot of Australian colloquialisms in your posts.