You make valid points about 'refusal to accept the mundane leads to the flashy improvements, which then also become mundane'.

But seriously, do you really think that technological improvement has made the world a better place?
We found out that trees both burnt and floated, so we cut them down as fuel and built ships. Then we explored and thats about where the trouble began. We went to other countries and decided "This isn't good enough", and accordingly changed their cultures by both violent and non-violent means. (Indians + Smallpox Blankets == genocide, Criminals + Australia == a rather silly idea in retrospect, and genocide following (strangely, it probably wasn't the criminals that did the most of it.)

Ok maybe it wasn't when we hacked down our first forest and noticed there was suddenly a lot more room for cows, maybe it was when people started EARNING MORE GOLD THAN PHYSICALLY EXISTED. We started passing around bits of paper with numbers on it and treating it as very rare and very valuable. Kinda stupid of us actually.

Why did we all do it? We like our psuedo gold. A lot. Once we got over the threshold of fire, shelter, food and water, we started making money to make our lives more comfortable. A bigger house, a new floor rug, a foolishly exspensive car which runs terribly and guzzles petrol. Why do we need it all? Well, so we can get more money. Are we really gaining much from it at all?

I like my playstation one (yes, its really old). Its a nice paperwieght and a console. But so long as I can eat, sleep, and drink in a nice warm place, I'm fairly content with life.

If you've seen fightclub you might know where I'm going. Cast off the shackles of society!

In reality, do you or I actually need a computer? No, its just been marketed so that we think we do. The big mistake was deciding that everyone needed one, not just scientists, governments and others who HAVE AN ACTUAL CRITICAL USE FOR THE FUNCTIONING OF A SOCIETY. Whne the PC came to everyone, I said ok. Soon it all changed. Thus the advent of buttons. I hate buttons. I really do.
*pant*

Edited:
Was this the most pointless post you ever saw?

Last edited by CloCkWeRX; 03/06/03 05:36 AM.