Originally Posted By: Khaled
I have been looking into this on Freenode and the nickserv identification message takes about 6 seconds to arrive. So mIRC would need to wait at least 6 seconds - but ... identification could take 60 seconds for all we know.

I could make mIRC wait for a NOTICE from "NickServ" with the words "You are now identified for" - which would not be fine because this may not be standard across networks and uses English, which will not work on non-English networks.

It would not be enough to wait for just any NOTICE from NickServ. When I connect to Freenode, I almost always receive a "-NickServ- This nickname is registered. Please choose a different nickname, or identify via /msg NickServ identify <password>" before I receive a second NOTICE "You are now identified". So mIRC would need to check the wording.

@Khaled - I understand your logic here but having digested this I would suggest the following:

1. Ignore any Notice from NICKSERV which has "/msg NICKSERV" in it - this is unlikely to be different in different languages.

2. Assume that any Notice which doesn't have this is either an authorised / un-authorised message - and either way use this to trigger the autojoin attempt.

3. Bearing in mind that in normal operation you will get a 903 SASL response or NICKSERV Notice, it is very unlikely that the timeout will ever be triggered - it will only be if you have misconfigured an SASL/Nickserv for a server which doesn't support it or e.g. if the server's NICKSERV is down. On this basis a fixed timeout of 60s or 30s might well be acceptable - or we could allow the user to change it via another setting in the Edit Server pop-up.

P.S. Also, since SASL support is announced in a CAP before you send an SASL / NICKSERV password, how about a (default?) option which automatically decides whether to send an SASL or /msg NICKSERV password depending on whether the CAP SASL is sent to mIRC. :-)