Quote:
FlushFileBuffers() would always be more of an improvement than MOVEFILE_WRITE_THROUGH, as the concern here is about the consistency of the update

The only issue I am concerned about is that, as mIRC is single-threaded, write-through/flushed updates to slower, non-SSD drives may freeze the interface every time there is an update. That said, it looks like just using MoveFileEx() without write-through will help. In fact, even just using mode3 will help - it was probably the issue with the pending delete that was having the most effect.

Quote:
I'm surprised and slightly concerned that with MoveFileEx() there was still one loss case at all though. With only the application crashing, there should be no way that the file gets lost. Do you have any more details about what happened there? Was the file actually lost, empty, corrupted..?

Unfortunately I have no more details about this event. After that specific run, the perl script either did not find an mirc.ini or the mirc.ini size was incorrect. As it is such an outlier, it is possible that something else happened and that this was not due to MoveFileEx().