Originally Posted By: Knoeki
Originally Posted By: qwerty
Quote:
I would—but not to UTF-anything. AFAIK, internally, mIRC 7 is straight UCS-2 (raw 16-bit text). UTF-16 would only be useful for handling 24 and 32 bit characters, which mIRC doesn't yet seem to support; though it's possible that i'm wrong, and it is UCS-4 internally, and just doesn't support it fully in scripts (e.g. $chr(),$asc()).
mIRC does support characters beyond the BMP through UTF-16 surrogate pairs - it is just $chr/$asc that don't. $chr/$asc equivalents can be scripted although it would be nice if this functionality were built in.

Agreeed. I'm also pretty sure it's been suggested before.

for mIRC to support the full Unicode code space internally, each member being a separate individual character in our scripts for all intents and purposes, would probably require it to switch from the current UTF-16 encoding form to UTF-32 (otherwise every string related function would need to parse the line for surrogate pairs as is currently done for displaying text). this would double the amount of memory required to store Unicode internally which is likely an unreasonable compromise given how rare it is to encounter characters in the supplementary Unicode planes

"The only excuse for making a useless script is that one admires it intensely" - Oscar Wilde