mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
R
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
R
Hello everybody!

First of all, I'd like to thank Khaled for the best IRC client out there. None of the other clients (including other platforms than Windows) have ever brought me as much flexibility and speed as mIRC has. Keep up the good work!

I'd like to announce a feature request. I don't know if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find something like it in this board!

I would like to see a feature allowing the user to specify a nickname when adding a new server. I use two different nicknames on three different servers (since my default nick is taken on one of them), and it would be nice to be able to specify it in the Servers dialog - making mIRC always using that nick when connecting to that particular server/network.

Secondly (semi-relevant to the previous suggestion), it would be nice to allow some sort of auto-connection to single/multiple servers at startup, without the need of scripts (Don't think I don't know how to script, I just thought it would be useful for beginners).

Thank you for your time, please comment these suggestions!

V
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
V
I beleive the whole "connect" section should become network specific, it's been requested before...

And all I need now is intellectual intercourse, a soul to dig the hole much deeper
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
* Raccoon raises an eyebrow and looks curiously at his reflection. o.O [color:000066]"erf?"[/color]
* Raccoon sniff-sniffs... then growls and stomps at the ground with territorial instinct.
"Growl growl-- chirrr huff puff." ... and stamps his feets some more.

. o O { in raccoonese, this translates to... } O o .

• Lookie here mack... I've got run of this neighborhood, you see?
    And there ain't enough trash cans for the both of us, you see?
    So if ya knows whats best for ya-- you'd hit the road 'fore the road hits you.
    ... you see?
* Raccoon tries looking all mean and intimidating again, causing quite a fuss.

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Whilst this wouldn't particuarly benefit me, I think it would be a nice feature. The only thing that concerns me would be how confusing the connect dialog would become, I'm one of those people who has trouble visualising something before it's actually put in front of them! I think the confusion would be increased 10 fold if the connect dialog was made network specific.

I agree with the second suggestions, simply because I've often found people asking for this and them being answered with an on connect/on start event. People seem to think a scripting "workaround" constitutes a solution. I see it as a temporary fix myself *shrugs*

For now, you might like to see /help on start or /help on connect in the mIRC help file. Also try running a Search to find a thread, quite a few have the code in them already. Expand to 'All Forums' and expand the date range to 'All Posts' for best results.

Now for your biggest problem...Raccoon. Well, I find that if you dangle a peanutbutter cookie in front of his nose, he'll become a big ole softy grin

* Mentality thwaps Raccoon - learn to share! *G*

Thanks for your suggestion!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
*Brat thwaps Mentality, grabs the pb cookie and thwaps the MaskedCritter just in case he thought about trying to eat it*

hrm, i can sure see it would be disconcerting to see your own nick especially since the _ at the end of raccoon_ isnt easily noticed and confuzzlement could (and prolly will) arise. All things considered, i think the critter deserves something... /me hands him a blueberry muffin

Back to the topic at hand, i think perhaps making it network specific would cause a lot of confusion. Beginners wouldnt be as likely to want to connect to multiple servers at startup or use a different nick on each one, and adding to the complexity of connect wouldnt make life any easier for them.
As they become more active and venture onto other networks on a regular basis, arent they more likely to add joining multiple servers in perform as opposed to wanting to script it?

I can see the benefit to being able to easily specify a diff nickname when connecting to another network even tho it isnt something i'd often have a use for.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
W
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
W
i have made a script for myself that does somethink like this... i creat files with profiles [full config] and just load the apropiat one on start-up.... but it would be cool if mirc had something like this... if anyone is interested i will give a link to see what i've done [allthough is not that much.. just a lot of typing and very carefull debugging :tongue: - the notify list per/profile took me ages to make it fast laugh]

and multiple auto-connections would be nice...

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
* Raccoon puts his territorial tendancies on hold for a little...

I guess it could be useful to explore adding some stock multi-server auto-connect feature, but I don't see Khaled getting too carried away with profiles and too many customizations per connection/network.

Though, I think once you graduate to the level of auto-connecting to multiple IRC servers, you really ought to consider learning the scripting language. That's what it's there for, to be an advanced customization feature and not just some programming language to be avoided.

Here's my multi-server auto-connect example:

http://raccoon.hypermart.net/multiserver.txt

- Raccoon

Well. At least I won lunch.
Good philosophy, see good in bad, I like!
D
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
D
c'mon, this is simple! ive done it millions of times.
connect to 1st server.
open connect dialog, select 2nd server, check "New Server WIndow" box, then connect
on 2nd server, type /nick <nick for 2nd server>

now was that hard? cool

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Do not meddle in dragons' affairs for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
D
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
D
sorry lost u after the word simple. <grin>

Link Copied to Clipboard