mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Nucks Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
N
Hey, I've used IRC a lot of times, but now I was thinking of starting a channel so a bunch of forum people and such can gather in a place and start relaxing. However I don't know much about this, can someone point me to a good tutorial, or give me tips?

As of the moment I have these few questions:

How do I keep my channel from being "taken" (stays there even if i close IRC) and then recognizes me as a channel operator?
I know of the "bot" but how does that function, must I keep my computer on?

How do I acquire one of these "bots" and..well basically I want to know more about them, I want to make a channel that will stay for awhile and recogizes people as channel op's and members with voice.

What's a good server to use?

I'm not really sure what I should be asking, I'm not too familar with these types of programs. I've read the basic help files and I know how to make other users with voice and such, but I'm not too sure abou the bot stuff, what I need to do, etc

Thanks for any help.

Its Nucks! =o
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T

New username: hixxy
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
A bot is a program runned from a computer with 24/7 connection to the net, and often it's runned from a linux/unix based system.. windows dont have so high uptime, thats why people dont use that OS for there bots(eggdrops), the best way to get a eggdrop is to ether have a friend running a linux or unix computer.. and that he can host the bot for you, the other option is to rent a shell, that cost money every month.. to find shell's, use google and search for "eggdrop shell" .. the last thing you can do, thats to join a network that supply channel sevices or eggdrops.. dalnet and quakenet are two networks that supply that for its users.. and how to get the bots on that 2 networks is explained on there www pages, you can get the url by look in your status when connecting to a server on the networks.. or type: /motd .. if you dont mind to be on a new small network, then i have a server linked to one.. and i supply bots to the users that want it.. if so private me, i wont spam the server addy here.. grin i hope this helped you and telling you what you wanted to know.. wink

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
N
Nucks Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'm a dialup user and I"m not allowed to keep the computer on at all times, so is there some way to keep the channel active without it being wiped off from memory? I'm not planning to pay for a service, is there another option?

Its Nucks! =o
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
quakenet and dalnet supply free channel servecis.. but i guess the most "good" channel names are taken.. so you would have to try find out a name no one else have..

if ($me != tired) { return } | else { echo -a Get a pot of coffee now $+($me,.) }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Read the thread that tidy_trax linked to, it explains about eggdrop bots, and about channel services, and has various links that will answer your questions.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Nucks Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Problem is, it says that eggdrops require 24/7 computer on (i think) or a paied service, and I'm unwilling, or can't do either.

how do i go into contact with a "ircop" ? And what's the server to dalnet?

eg: can I say join dalnet
make a new channel
register my nickname
register my channel

and a bot will automatically be created that stays in the channel?

I've tried this procedure, but when i try to register the channel it said I needed to verify something, though this was ona differnt server.

Its Nucks! =o
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
This thread should help you.

DALnet does have channel and nick services, read the info at
http://docs.dal.net/main.htm to understand how they work and how to use them.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
In addition:

An IRCop (or IRC Operator) is a person who helps run the IRC network or server (many servers linked together make a network) - They have various tools open to them, they differ from network to network, but generally they can maintain servers after netsplits (when servers split apart from each other), disconnect abusive users from IRC or ban people from the IRC server/network. There is really no need to contact one for help with nickname/channel registration, especially not on DALnet.

You may consider going to the #Help channel on the network you use and seeking help there. For DALnet, the link Para gave is very useful and very informative. It's designed for people who are completely new.

"and a bot will automatically be created that stays in the channel?"

On DALnet, no, ChanServ is a 'service' - it doesn't join your channel, but it is 'omnipresent' in that it will op you and other stuff when you come back to the channel. See http://docs.dal.net/chanserv.htm for specific help. You must register a nickname and complete the registration before registering a channel (to help combat mass-registrations, you must confirm registration in an email sent to you) - You then may register a channel.

Because each network is different, make sure you check out the website for whatever network you choose to go to, and the #Help channel, or if there is another official help channel, use that.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Nucks Offline OP
OP Offline
N
That helped clarify some of the stuff, Thanks!

Oh, and if the ChanServ doesn't stay in the channel for you, but only "ops" someone, if the server becomes empty..
does it get deleted off (cleared from memory, etc)

Its Nucks! =o
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Nope, ChanServ has its own database, even if ChanServ goes offline, when it comes back, your channel will still be registered. There are usually expiration times - for example, if you don't identify to your nickname in 30 days and it drops, the channel will also drop. Also, if you (or any other op) doesn't join the channel within 30 days it might drop too - expiration times can differ.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Nucks Offline OP
OP Offline
N
If i register my name, and then register the chanserv for my channel, it'll be mine forever if I constantly go on it?

what about this scenario
I go on, I'm op'd i create I leave
channel's emptied, and someone comes in/creates it, what happens?

And when i try to register my channel it says I have to talk to a IRCop, but I can't locate those >_<

Its Nucks! =o
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
If by 'create' you mean 'register' it, then when someone else comes along and joins the channel when it is empty, ChanServ (or whatever channel service) will remember that it's registered to your nickname, and not allow them to be opped. Taking DALnet as an example, if you join an empty registered channel, you get deopped by ChanServ and it tells you that ChanServ runs the channel.

If you are being told to contact an IRC Operator when trying to register a channel, I should imagine they are limiting the amount of channels that can be registered for whatever reason. I suggest you go to the network's #Help channel, or the channel named after the network - e.g. if the network is called 'BlahNet' go to #BlahNet. Also check out the network's website.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Nucks Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I'm sorry for asking this stupid question..
but what's the IRC to dalnet?

I realized the one I tried before that asked for ircop was gamesurge.

Its Nucks! =o

Link Copied to Clipboard