mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#99505 07/10/04 10:20 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
There is no need to be complete rude, nor is there a need to reply three times in a row, one will suffice.

In addition there is nothing wrong with the built-in $compress/$decompress() functions, if they arent working for you then obviously your doing something wrong.

In address to 'mIRCs limitations', simply dont use it if you want gzip streaming support, or, since i have 'no idea what i'm talking about', you can see a thread here about creating send/recieve functionality with Sockets, and create your own wonderful gzip steam with it.

Furthermore, XP, or certainly not mine anyway (XP-SP2) doesnt support .gzip format files, however does support zip.

Eamonn.

#99506 10/10/04 09:37 PM
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Quote:
In address to 'mIRCs limitations', simply dont use it if you want gzip streaming support, or, since i have 'no idea what i'm talking about', you can see a thread here about creating send/recieve functionality with Sockets, and create your own wonderful gzip steam with it.

sorry m8, but he knows how to stream with sockets, his web server proves it.

Quote:
In addition there is nothing wrong with the built-in $compress/$decompress() functions, if they arent working for you then obviously your doing something wrong.

about this, maybe he thinks like me, what is the use of this methods the way they are? What is they portability? What is they compress method? Raw meaning what, pure Huffman compression?

This is all about speed and portability… the 1º because dll has some considerable cost in time for intensive use and the 2º because it is good to be able to interact with other applications.

Thanks for your time reading this thread.
Tontito

#99507 10/10/04 11:18 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
about this, maybe he thinks like me, what is the use of this methods the way they are? What is they portability? What is they compress method? Raw meaning what, pure Huffman compression?

- As I already pointed out above, they use the Zlib compress/uncompress methods.

Quote:
This is all about speed and portability… the 1º because dll has some considerable cost in time for intensive use and the 2º because it is good to be able to interact with other applications.

- If you were really concerned about speed and portability you wouldn't be using mIRC scripting to write a web server. A speed difference between a well coded DLL and calling an internal GZip identifier would be negligable. mIRC scripting itself would be the major limiting factor under 'intensive use'. I don't see why interacting with other applications is a good thing when those applications and the method of interaction are completely detached from IRC.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#99508 11/10/04 02:26 PM
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Quote:
- If you were really concerned about speed and portability you wouldn't be using mIRC scripting to write a web server. A speed difference between a well coded DLL and calling an internal GZip identifier would be negligable. mIRC scripting itself would be the major limiting factor under 'intensive use'. I don't see why interacting with other applications is a good thing when those applications and the method of interaction are completely detached from IRC.

I agree with you that mirc scripting isn't the right language to write a web server, but you know how guys like me and oracel are, we are always trying to make almost impossible stuff with mirc.

About the negligible time you say that there is in the use of dlls, i can only say that i manage to script (in mirc) the functionality of a dll (mhtml dll) and it became much faster. It is one example.

Seems that the dll call is very slow, even with the dll in memory.
Thanks again

#99509 22/10/04 12:18 PM
A
axia Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
A
Speaking as a network admin, let me put a scenario to you....
Do you consider, as a newbie user, having just purchased a new machine with a router. That configuring that router for file transfer using DCC is an easy matter with all the numerous ports.
:::::::::::::::::::::::: Disclaimer :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
For you to be able to share your files on IRC
The following ports on your machine must be open
59, 1024 to 5000, 6667 to 6669, http 80 and 8080. Also ports 110 and 113.
Or you may choose to use the DMZ function in your router
In which case, don't forget you'll need to forward port 113 to your local ip
If the equipment (router etc.) came packaged with your Internet connection.
We advise you to consult the supplier and seek advice from them.
If you choose to open these ports yourself we take no responsibility.
We are merely advising you what is required.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Or do you consider that using a webserver, using just port 80 makes life a lot easier.

And before you start on the subject of Mirc being intended as a chat line, this is the real world.

I run tontito's much improved webserver, to great effect I might add, as do many others on my network.

All my request was intended to do was to make Mirc more user friendly.

Mirc is for end users not coders, and a webserver is a welcome addition and an alternative to DCC.

Last edited by axia; 22/10/04 12:27 PM.
#99510 26/10/04 08:27 PM
O
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
O
Hardcore maniac mirc scripting forever! \m/ (^-^) \m/

Bloop
#99511 27/10/04 09:28 AM
T
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
T
Quote:
I bet there are plenty of open source solutions for this. If Khaled wants to avoid any licensing, there might be a possibility to split the gzip part into a dll that can be freely downloaded in addition to mIRC.

yep, there is one in the official web page GZIP seems free to me...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard