Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
Think theres 16 colors, but anyway. Im sure this has been requested befor, or maybe not, but id like to see more colors, or a way of combining colors to allow those already 16 colors to make basically any color. like "k3/4,0/0" where / combines the two seperate colors. I know it seems like a waste, and i relized only those with mIRC could see it, but it would be nice if that existed. Or something along the lines of that, basically i just want more colors.

So aside from the fact that i sound like some 10 yr old girl who wants pretty shades of pink, is it possible? if it is, think it would ever be added?

And a side note, are requests actually being taken? I admit i dont read the changelog of mIRC every version, well i skim through it to see if its relivant to my coding style, but are the hundreds of requests, if they are even possible, even considered?

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Indeed, you may wish to use the search feature for other posts requesting more colours and see what other people's points of view on the matter are. If you don't know already, there is a (type of) colour wheel in mIRC that you might like to use: Press ALT+K and right click one of the colours. Then click on 'Define Custom Colors > >'.

Khaled does read all (or at least the vast majority) of bug reports and feature suggestions. He very very rarely reveals what will be included next version or ever in the future, so it's unlikely you'll receive a response. It could be several versions before a feature is incorporated - it is of course possible some suggestions will never be incorporated - perhaps it Khaled just doesn't like the idea? smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
do other people over irc see those custom colors? Thats what i want, not so much you seeing w/e colors you want. Thanks smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Nope, ALT+K colours change how you see text. Yanno, most people can't stand people talking in colour, using colour codes can clash with some people's backgrounds (either make your text horribly bright or invisible), annoy others or get you banned from channels. Why force others to see your text in a different colour? *shrugs*

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You can have the almost every colour in mIRC, the limitation however is on the quantity, you can only use 16 colours at anyone time.

i.e.

//echo 2 This is dark blue.
//color 2 $rgb(255,179,236)

Will firstly, echo a dark blue line, then it will replace the darkblue in your palette with RGB value '255/179/236' (a pretty pink).

Use, /color -r 2 to reset it back to blue.

Eamonn.
Eamonn.

Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
lol yee who cast the first stone shall be banished into the world of... colors :tongue:

This is not for my benifit, i run a multiuser MuD through dcc, and the whole game including many parts inside text is customizable for the USER, so the USER can tell the game to send messages to the USER in a specific color, so this is for the USERS BENIFIT. The reason im asking is cuz many different events in the game can be customizable and it would be cool if they could have different colors. But basically everyone has a desired theme more or less, and in the given color scheme there is only a small number of colors that work with the users color scheme. Like me personally, i use default colors, i cannot stand K11.

So if my USERS like blue, i was hoping my bot could send them text in many blues, assuming they set it up in the ColorCP section of my bot ofcourse.

So again, this is for my USERS benifit, not for the sake of using many annoying colors in channels. Dont lump me with those idiots befor you have all the facts, thank you very much smile

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I was not lumping you with any 'idiots', I was asking why you need to force others to see colours, and now you've explained, no need for rudeness (:

Anyway, personally I'm not for more colours, I think the majority who use them, use them excessively (like in automated scripts that enter rooms and say '<ascii crap> I use Walaikum Script 2K4 <ascii crap>', and adding more colours would make them even more colourful. For personal use I strip a lot of colours, but I do care about what channels I'm in have to put up with in general too. Also, as someone who had to use ircle every weekend for months I know how frustrating mIRC colour codes can be interfering with general chat, so to add even more...

My 2 cents

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
Ya i fully understand your point of view on the matter. The few always ruin it for the masses smirk

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
Hmmm.. anything that parse rgb colors creating a 'stantard' would be useful, and a option that transforms automatically rgb colors in irc 4-bit colors (transforming into the closest color) will make who don't liket this feature happy

and maybe a $rgb2mirc(text) and $mirc2rgb(text), both like the $ansi2mirc(text)

but i am not sure what standard would use..

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
It wouldn't make it much worse imo, considering some of mIRC's default colours are pretty bright and annoying (^8 for example), I think irc client developers should just add ^<rgb value>, and maybe khaled could add a feature to strip rgb ranges, so you can strip out 155-255 (dark red to light red) for example.

New username: hixxy
Z
Zeusbwr Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Z
that sounds like a great idea! That way everyone wins, stripping out annoying RGB color ranges makes everyone happy, you still get color you like, none you dont. Plus i can use it for my needs, yay. All i know is RGB colors would vastly increase my MuD's looks. Allowing for basically unlimited combinations so you dont have two messages the same colors.

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
or transforms the 155-255 range into the "normal" red, that is not very bright

Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
That is one of the most silliest suggestions I've heard in a long time. Forcefully strip out a range of 'colours' just because you don't like them or find them annoying? Not only does this discriminate against many people, but there are still uses for 'bright' colours. I bet you use a white background? Or white somewhere? That is the brightest colour (I know it's not a colour, don't start on that) you can have. Also ^8 looks perfectly fine on a black (or another dark) background.

You do realise that there are 3 ranges, red, green, and blue. Just because 1 of these ranges is above 155 doesn't mean the colour is bright. Even two of them below doesn't mean it. There are plently of shades of gray which are useful above in these ranges. And we've all lived with the 16bit palette for many years without too many issues, many of these colours which would be deemed as 'bright'.

You won't like it when I get angry.
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
Forcefully strip out a range of 'colours' just because you don't like them or find them annoying? Not only does this discriminate against many people, but there are still uses for 'bright' colours.

Just out of curiosity, why does it bother you if I strip certain colours on the client i'm using? I'm not saying he shouldn't add certain colours to mIRC, i'm saying you should be able to strip rgb ranges if you don't like a colour in that range, that's a perfectly reasonable suggestion to me.

In other words, i'm saying he should add full rgb support, but he should also add an option to strip colour ranges (like $strip(), but to strip ranges, not all colours).

Edit: yeah I know there are 3 ranges, but 155 ($rgb(155,0,0)) is dark red, and 255 ($rgb(255,0,0)) is light red.

Last edited by tidy_trax; 25/09/04 04:26 AM.

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
well, each user will strip/change the colors as he/she wants - if you do not want strip any colors, that's fine. it would be a feature of the mirc, not a standard. the standard should be "all users see all colors", but some people will want do not see some colors.

Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Oh. I thought you meant Khaled would hardcode that colours in those ranges wouldn't be displayed. Disregard.

You won't like it when I get angry.
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
no, it would be scripted or setted by mirc options. (or both)

N
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
N
maybe a new control code, like R that you would give it the RGB color codes after it? Rxxx,xxx,xxx

the only problem is.. not everyone uses mIRC and those users that didn't would see a bunch of crap text added in. (As mentioned earlier, if ASCII isn't enough for script makers crazy ) I think if more colors were to be added, it would have to be a shared standard between the different clients that use color codes and such.

w00f!
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
ctrl-r is already a control code that reverses colours.

L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
the other clients can implement this, i think that it's not very hard

and, can be ctrl+c, that opens a window of "choose any color" instead of only 16 colors =)

--

but i think that it should be talked with the admins of main irc networks and write a RFC, because it would be a new irc standard (like dcc or ctcp)

Link Copied to Clipboard