#97769 16/09/04 08:25 AM
S
Squal Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Hi!

Can anyone give me a hint which channel should I visit to discuss or get help for DLL development for mIRC?

thanks in advance

[SQuaL]

#97770 16/09/04 05:09 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum for information on finding a channel to suit your needs. There have also been several threads (briefly) explaining how to use mIRC with DLLs and how to make DLLs for mIRC. Use the search feature, expand to 'All Forums' and 'All Posts' for best results. You may wish to search websites such as www.mircscripts.org or www.mirc.net for tutorials which help, although DLLs are not written with mIRC Script.

You could use the Developer Forum for some specific help too (edit: oh, you already have grin). It may be hard to find a channel that is very specific to that subject..

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#97771 16/09/04 07:32 PM
S
Squal Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Thank you, Mentality.

Unfortunately, I have given up searching for such a channel. The only one who could efficiently help me is the author of mIRC, but I believe he has enough problems on his own (with guys like me).

Mentality, you seem like an experienced mIRC user. You seem to have answered more questions than any other on this forum. Could you, by any chance, help me to find an answer to this: How can I add new icons to mIRC's main toolbar (using Win32 api functions - DLLs)?

I hope I'm not annoying you (no need to help me ;-) ).

Nevertheless, I'm very thankful for your answer, and thank you in ahead!

#97772 16/09/04 09:01 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
No problem :-)

I've never changed my mIRC icons, so I'm not certain of the procedure to change the toolbar buttons - you can download toolbar buttons from a site such as this, you may also want to search Google. You can then right click on the toolbar, go to 'Buttons...' and 'Select', then choose the icons. Icons must be BMP format.

You can also use the -u switch with /background, see /help /background (a command where other things can be changed too).

Some other changing icon-related features:

- You can change the desktop icon (if it's a shortcut), by right clicking, going to 'Properties', click on the 'Shortcut' tab and then click on the 'Change Icon...' button. This works with XP, don't know about other OSs.

- You can change the icon that appears in the tray when you minimise mIRC to the tray (e.g. /showmirc -t), in mIRC Options: ALT+O > Display > Options > [Tray...]. This can be a .exe, .dll or .ico file.

Some things cannot be changed in mIRC to make sure that virus-writers cannot distribute mIRC as a 'fake' program (or at least, cut down on the possibility) and possibly copyright issues too.

P.S. I don't know if you can actually add more icons to the toolbar without a DLL, which is what I believe you're asking in the Developer Forum.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#97773 16/09/04 10:35 PM
S
Squal Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Wow, these are some very nice tips! People have produced nice looking toolbars, indeed!

I have tried to solve my problem with your hints, but it just doesn't do what I need.

Quote:
Mentality: I don't know if you can actually add more icons to the toolbar without a DLL, which is what I believe you're asking in the Developer Forum.

I am actually writing a DLL in C++, and I have already made some (unsuccessful) attempts to add new BITMAPs to the toolbar's IMAGELIST.

I have tried to add BITMAPs by sending Windows Messages to the window procedure of mIRC's toolbar.

Yes, I was unable to add ADDITIONAL BITMAPs to the toolbar (which is why I write).

However, I have been able to add new BUTTONs to the toolbar (and I can add as many as I like). This means I have my button on the toolbar, but it lacks an unique icon. Unfortunately, I may use only those icons that already exist in the toolbar.

Be it as it is! I will continue searching for a way, until I find a solution. If I find a solution, I will post it here.

Thank you again, Mentality. This info you posted here is very useful, I can imagine there are a lot of people who are trying to change the looks of the mIRC client!

see ya

#97774 17/09/04 01:11 AM
Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
There are thousands of DLLs out there that do these functions, most notable being MDX by DragonZap.

You won't like it when I get angry.
#97775 17/09/04 08:49 AM
S
Squal Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
S
Hi, zack! Thank you for your reply!

I do know about MDX. Are you sure it has such functionality? I have been looking for that functionality in MDX, but I haven't found what I need.

If you know how to do this, would you please show me - I really need help.

Thanks in advance!

Link Copied to Clipboard