mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
I
inhahe Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
I
It would be nice if you could script for mirc in other programming languages. if for no other reason then that that way you wouldn't have to learn mirc scripting. i'm too lazy. it's pretty cryptic. =P

if mirc has this ability, i would like to know how.

i imagine it could be done through DDE, with each type of mirc event having a defined prefix.

might as well do it with .dll plugins, though..

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
/help dll
/help COM

You might also want to try mircscripts for some COM tutorials.

Btw mIRC Scripting is probably the best choice if you use it for its purpose, that is create IRC related scripts. Also it is very easy to learn, and quite simple once you get the hang of it.

Greets

Last edited by FiberOPtics; 16/09/04 08:57 AM.

Gone.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
L
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
L
a pearl/tcl/python/vbscript support would be a nice feature to turn mirc more versatile; and many clients supports these languages

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
it's quite weird this was never really discussed (to my knowledge) :tongue:

K
Babel fish
Babel fish
K
but it lacks usability outside mIRC. Also I would disagree with the "best choice" claim. There are more usable, more powerful languages that existed even when mIRC was first written that could have been used instead of inventing a script language.

My personal favorite as far as scripting languages goes is TCL. It's proven to be a good "IRC script language" it can be used outside mIRC or outside IRC for that fact. It's also supported in several other IRC clients so that makes it portable. It's possible to be employed as a "tcl scripter" unlike mIRC Script. There isn't anything that I can think of the mIRC script does that TCL can't.

--

katsklaw
Rather experienced Admin
Rather experienced mIRC Scripter
Amateur C Coder
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Your point about other languages working outside of mIRC is moot because we're talking about languages for mIRC. And who cares about whether a language gets you a job? I doubt more than 1% of all the people who use mIRC script have any interest in getting a programming job, and even those who do understand the value of a purpose-oriented language like mIRC's. Yes it only works in mIRC, that's why it's a lot easier to do so many things with it because it was designed for that explicit purpose.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
but it lacks usability outside mIRC. Also I would disagree with the "best choice" claim. There are more usable, more powerful languages that existed even when mIRC was first written that could have been used instead of inventing a script language.

The mIRC scripting language wasn't invented as such. It is something that evolved over time and wasn't originally intended to be as large (for want of a better word) as it is today. Khaled even says this on his homepage. Remember that what we are trying to achieve with mIRC scripting is merely to enhance mIRC's personality and usefulness ON IRC. mIRC isn't intended to do what alot of people use it for like crunching large databases and being used as the basis for an IRC server.

Using a more powerful language isn't going to yield better results - it's just IRC and your scripts, if any, should be efficiently written to perform actions quickly enough for you to not notice any difference in speed compared to other languages. It can be done. laugh

I'd add that if you were to spend time benchmarking to make a point about some language being a poofteenth of a second faster than a mIRC script then you probably should be engaging in another hobby.

Leoric: I, for one, would prefer mIRC not to be tainted that way.

Link Copied to Clipboard