mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#97382 11/09/04 11:01 PM
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
I am behind a router, and this problem is quite a hassle for me. I am only able to open one port for this system, and wish to allocate it for DCC ports. The options dialogue regarding this issue allows a range to be inputted. However, if you input a one-item range (for example 3000-3000), mIRC will not use this one port for all connections, instead it will simply fail. Other software (many peer-to-peer applications) are able to function using only one port.
Perhaps the issue lies in not using SO_REUSEADDR? Using this socket option will make a single port available as soon as the listening socket is used, without having a TIME_WAIT socket state.

#97383 18/09/04 05:50 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Maybe the problem lies in the matter of mIRC *NOT* being a p2p program. And I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt anyone would alter their software just cause a user can't set up his router correctly...

DALnet #Helpdesk
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -Confucius
#97384 09/10/04 12:54 AM
G
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
G
If you have nothing to say, then please don't say anything, dear sir.

No suggestion has been made that mIRC is a peer-to-peer program. The problem has nothing to do with swapping files, but rather with inadequate handling of DCC port ranges.

And also, my dear LocutusofBorg, if I was able to have a range of ports allocated for me, I would not have posted this. So please try and be considerate to the Internet population, and let go of your ego.

Link Copied to Clipboard