mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Sun Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
I have noticed that mIRC tends to slowdown, a lot, after I start Windows Media Player, or any other program that displays overlayed video. I'll use WMP as an example for all these programs, since I use it most often. I have been playing around with this for a few weeks to make sure it's not something I'm doing wrong, but I can't isolate the cause.

Before starting WMP, mIRC willl easily scroll through a 200+ line MOTD in a few seconds, using little CPU. Though, after running WMP it can take sometimes almost 2 minutes to display the same MOTD. All the while chewing up near 100% CPU. The sluggishness remains even after WMP is closed, and also seems to affect other programs (including the start menu/explorer) while mIRC is viewable. When mIRC is minimized, other programs return to normal responsiveness, until mIRC is brought back into visibility. mIRC itself seems to update faster when not visible as well, leading me to believe the sluggishness lies somewhere in the way mIRC handles its display update. Toggling Fast Text Display produces little or no result.

This slugishness remains until I either reboot my system, or run a 3D game that grabs video from the system. Logging out, restarting mIRC, and changing video resolution doesn't solve the problem. It affects mIRC with and without scripts loaded, even on a fresh Window XP installation before drivers are installed. There is one exception, when running the same system with dual monitors, mIRC is uneffected by WMP. I remove the extra monitor and the problem starts reoccuring.

This wouldn't really be a problem, especially for MOTDs, except that I am often in channels with a high level of activity. If I then run WMP player for some reason, mIRC will happily start gobbling up all my CPU. I don't feel like running a game or rebooting every time this occurs.

If anyone can point out something that I may be missing, or if you have any questions about my setup, let me know. I am eager to squish this bug quickly.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
maybe its your computer...
whats ur os/cpu/ram

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
S
Sun Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
S
OS: Windows XP Professional (appears on both SP1 and SP2)
CPU: Pentium 4 3.2GHz (98% idle most of the time)
RAM: 1GB DDR 3200 with usually 500+MB free
GFX: Radeon 9800 XT

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
that's "Hyper Threading" for you.

I can't verify myself:
Windows XP Home SP1
AMD XP 2400+ (2.0Ghz)
1GB DDR PC3200
GeForce 4 TI 4200

-KingTomato
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Never come across this either. my stats are:

Win2k SP4
AMD XP 3,000+
1 gig 3200 DDR
Gefore FX 5600 (256 DDR)

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
POS Computer time.
XP Pro SP2
CPU: Intel Pentium III, 448 MHz
Ram: 256 Megs
And I dont get this at all and my comp is up and online for like 1-2 weeks at a time with full buffers what not and winamp running a lot, and i load wmp no problems my system might hang for a second on the loading of wmp but after that mirc runs fine

Link Copied to Clipboard