mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
D
Desktop Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
D
I would like to know how to change or perhaps register a username. I thought I had one, but when I go to connect to certain channels a message says:

You need a registered and identified nick to do that.

Anyway, the nick I do have (if that is, I have one) I would like to change. This is all very confusing.

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
It really depends on the network you connect to. Join the network's help channel for more information on services they offer, if any.

D
Desktop Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Uh, ok ... and that would be where? I have tried connecting to all sorts of mIRC help channels in my mIRC program but no one seems to be in any of those rooms.

N
N
what server are you connecting to?

Click here to enter my server site
D
Desktop Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Your link doesn't work. I finally found a room where someone helped me figure out how to change my nick and register it (and my password).

I found them on irc.chat-net.org (6667)

L
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
L
Maybe i'm getting the wrong thought but, Say if you registered your nick on irc.net1.net it won't be already registered on irc.net2.net

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Correct.

Nickname registration is specific to the network. Some networks do not let you register a nickname, they only allow registration of a username that personally identifies you, and gives you some perks (i.e. user vhost). Some networks do not allow any form of nickname, username or channel registration (i.e. EFnet, IRCnet).

Services have nothing to do with mIRC, nor do registered nicknames or channels. For help with Services, it is better to ask in the network #Help channel as mentioned above (connect to the network, type /join #help) or to check out the network's website for help. The other reason for this is, a whole range of people use this board - some helpers have never come across (and don't want to come across) Services. Others visit differing networks where the commands are slightly different from each other (for example, on DALnet you cannot use /msg nickserv, on another nets this is common). You can get more accurate information from the network users/helpers/opers than you can from this board.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
N
Now should work ok or else the server address is irczkorpion.zapto.org and btw I have my own services that I created a few days ago it is only made by mIRC scripting language

Click here to enter my server site
D
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
D
can u teach me on how to register nick or a user name in IRC???

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Registering a nickname is down to the network that you use, it has nothing to do with mIRC and we can't tell you how to do it for every single network out there. You need to contact your network's #help channel (or equivalent) and ask them, or look at their website to see if they have any online documentation.

This has all been said above. Please read the thread before posting.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Hi,
Obviously this is normal. As registring a nickname on a single IRC network saves the registration information to this specific IRC network database, and it works for ALL SERVERS linked to this network "irc1.network.net irc2.network.net" etc.

But for a different network, with different services. Ofcourse the nickname will not be registred, or even registred to you.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Symphony, out of curiousity, why are you posting to a thread that is 8 months old?

S
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
S
If Services are available on the network, then to change you nick type /nick <newnick>.
To register a nickname you would type this into the Status Window text line:

/msg Nickserv Register <password> <email>

You password is your choice, and the Email is a valid email address, mainly to retrieve your password if forgotten.

Each time you connect to that server, you must identify your nick with the following line:

/msg Nickserv Identify <password>

Otherwise your nick will be changed to a default nick, or you will be booted out of the server.

I say enter this into the Status window and not a public channel to prevent people from reading your password.

Sam Hamwich
-Build a Better Mousetrap, and They Will Build A Smarter Mouse-
R
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
R
Similar question to you, that MikeChat posted...why are your replying to a thread that's almost 7 months old and a topic that's over 2 years old?

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Also keep in mind that your answer only addresses certain networks. Other networks use other methods of registering your nick. That is why telling people to go to the #help channel is a better answer. The information on registering a nick on that network is often right in the topic on the #help channel. And, if it isn't, a question in there will get the answer.

Invision Support
#Invision on irc.irchighway.net
W
W
I would join the IRC first in the current nick and pass then
I would try this /msg nickserv set password <new_password>. cool

Jack Daniels anyone?

Link Copied to Clipboard