mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
Right now most if not all IRCU's support many more modes than the few displayed in the channelcentrallwindow (doubleclick on channel), For instance, many networks support the +c mode to enable colorblocking and such 'new' modes.
Seeing that the used modes on a network are reported on connect in most cases (AFAIK), it should even be possible to dynamically add them as options.
The present fixed selection of modes is starting too look pretty dated in 2004 I fear.

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Making a Dynamic channel list might seem like a good idea, but then you'll get to the state where, mIRC is adapting for the IRCserver, not the user.

For example, there'd be nothing stopping 'networkX' getting the server to output A-Z,a-z,0-9 of channel modes and this big huge dialog opens to fit everything in.

Not to mention the fact that with a dynamic list mIRC would still need to be "told" what certain things are, for example, +R stops (on dalnet), unregistered/identified nicknames joining a channel, mIRC would still need to know to output 'Cant join, identify or register' error message, thus killing "dynamics".

Also since it'd be dynamic to the server (i.e. change depending on what the server sends in its 00' lines), if this big dialog opens, and User1 doesnt like the fact that it says a-z,A-Z,0-9 then he cant change them without some option where the 'user' can remove these items from the list.

Eamonn.

L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
What I think would be great is if mirc allowed US to specify what modes to list and for which networks allowing us to even customize the message for the dialog so that ONLY those programmed in can be shown. Now I DO realize that (for example) dalnet as IRCop/Admin related channel modes that MOST users cant access, but still, this would allow US to specify it and while it would take a bit of doing, would be MUCH more realistic and would still be "told" what to display.

EDITED

Here's another way it could be done. Allow the channel central to be based off of a file that we can edit (I dont know what kind maybe ini) so that we can put modes etc in easily by file. This way, if people who want to create a template (if you will) for Chatnet (as an example only - Ive never used it), then they could format the file (whatever it was) and give it out with all the modes etc in so we could EASILY add new networks all the time. IN no time some of the RELIABLE people on here would post ACCURATE file text to add and we could ALL benefit from it greatly.

EDITED AGAIN

And one more time cause I can still edit this. Something else that COULD be done is to take said file configuration and cross reference it with the perform section so you could (sake of argument) list all the usermodes for a network as well as specify perform functions (in the sme area for mirc).

Just my thoughts and feel free to comment at will

Last edited by landonsandor; 23/08/04 10:14 AM.

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
The modes in the channel central dialog are there because they are the default modes of 99% of every IRC network (if not 100%). I find that the majority of people use /mode over the channel central dialog anyway, it's a much quicker way to set modes. The channel central dialog is good for changing the topic AND setting different modes at the same time.

Another problem would be the difference between the same mode chars on some networks - for example, +R, as Coolkill explained, prevents unregistered nicknames joining on DALnet - +r means the channel is 'registered'. On Undernet however, +r has the same effect as +R on DALnet. How is mIRC meant to tell if +r is the 'registered' +r, or the 'prevent unregistered usernames entering' +r? I'm sure there are various other modes that are like this. It's worth noting, users cannot set/unset +r on DALnet. Perhaps there is a workaround, a way for mIRC to grab some sort of info?

Personally, I like the way the channel central dialog is now, and for what I use it for, I see no need for change.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
Hmm, well I must say that's a little daft of people to not agree beforehand on the meaning of mode letter functions, I didn't know that there was such disparity, however the reply of landsonsandor about making it userselectable per network or using an ini makes it viable again, also perhaps someone can check systematically what the major networks all agree on at least and add those modes, there are some 'new' modes that I think 99% of the networks added that are always the same letter/function.
Amd yes, we can use /mode but then you might as well say they should remove all modes from the dialog in the channelinfowindow, My post is based on my observation that any network I visited have over time added a number of the same modes and mIRC didn't evolve along with the networks, which makes the channelinfowindow seem a bit outdated, and I thinkwe don't want mIRC to become outdated eh smile
Anyways thanks for your intelligent reply Mentality

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Whilst I am under the impression many IRC networks work closely together, the fact that Undernet and DALnet did not confer with each other on +r/+R implementation is not a mistake of either network.

The modes in the channel central dialog are the standard set of IRC modes outlined in RFC 1459, which is more why I believe mIRC has those particular modes set out in the dialog. An IRC client should, naturally, be compliant with the protocol it is serving for.

Then again, times do change. mIRC is obviously not totally draconian, given the 'ishop' operator and some other half-op support, which is not the IRC standard. Nevertheless, as a clear main feature of mIRC, I still don't think it's worth changing it all around.

By the way, I wasn't saying "don't use the channel dialog, you can just use /mode", I was simply pointing out that *most* people use /mode (or an alias) to change modes, not channel central.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
mIRC could just grab modes from 005 raw and list them as 'unknown modes' or something. It wouldn't explain what these modes do, but it would be easier to set them for people who use the channel central dialog.
I think Klient does it already.

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
Personaly I just made my own channel central and replaced the built in one. I dont see why mIRC needs to expand on this point. where other things that are more important need to be included. If your simply to lazy to script or find a script or to do /mode #room -l+k hi then bah

W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W
Lazy eh, script eh, well why don't I install IRSSI if I want to make my own functions and not use a prefab GUI, lol (I jest)

A
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
A
And thats your choice, but irssi is prefab to a point.

W
Wwhat Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
W

Link Copied to Clipboard