mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#94511 16/08/04 11:04 PM
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
I've ran across quite a few site who not only kick users - they insult them with abusive language. This should not be tolerated on Irc or Mirc. Curse words should not be allowed to be used in a function - only general chatting. adding DeCussulator will not allow messages of this type to be displayed. The DeCussulator also has the option to nullify all added comments, except for notification that a user was kicked - so you aren't insulted and embarrassed because some dumball kicked you for a stupid reason AND followed it up with a nasty comment that you cannot address.

In that vein is "Last Word". The kicked user will be able to make a comment of his own if Last Word detects that more than the standard (default) kick message is displayed. So now it's fair. Furthermore, a username cannot be used unless the user is there - except in private message.

At one time the WWW was only for "chat" -
EVOLVE Already!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
theres no point in that.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Ops of a channel may kick out a user for any reason they wish, including no reason. They can have any kick message they wish too. Generally, ops will only kick users if they are abusive (and probably deserve the insults if that is the op's wish), but even if the person (in your eyes) doesn't 'deserve' the insult, it is the op's right to do this.

Again, this has nothing to do with mIRC. I have never heard of this "DeCussulator" or whatever you're talking about. Sounds like you could do this through a script anyway, if you really want to block bad text that is. A lot of people don't mind swearing - mIRC should not be edited to be safe for every 11 year old on the Internet.

Try asking in your network's #Help channel and see if they have a mode that filters out swearing, a few do, but it's fairly rare.

The fact is, IRC is not a place of flowers, some nasty stuff happens online - that is the world, that is people. Create your own channel and make your own rules, or go to channels that do not allow swearing (there are many). If you're not prepared to do that, or install a script that might filter out swear words, then, frankly, tough luck.

The point of a kick message is to inform the user of why they are being kicked - it is not the user's right to have the "last word" in any situation. You are free to always /query nickname your-message after you have been kicked however, to say what you think. Depending on what you say, you may end up banned for longer, or ignored.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
Op is the master in his house (channel). He can kick you anytime he wants, and for any reason he wants. If you don't like that, leave (part) his house (channel).

velicha dusha moja Gospoda
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
You 'last word' suggestion makes me think that if you were kicked out of a channel and abused, you probably deserved it. I mean, seriously, it's IRC. If you're not wanted in a channel there's nothing you can do about it. Getting in the last word will just make you the joke of that channel for a few days afterwards, whether you're there or not.

M
OP Offline
M
While a user may have desrved to get kicked out - he/she should not be getting verbally abused by some silly bot script (or at all for that matter). And the truth is, OPs DO kick people for whatever reason they want, including stupid ones like not liking your IP (which has nothing to do with you) so they shouldn't be insulting people on the way out.

The resolutions offered are very weak, and not really applicable. By the same token that a user gets kicked for a "good reason", I don't think that user will want to come back to a place that's abusive anyway - so why not get the last word?

I notice that there is a trend to reply with a this is how things are attitude. I thought this was "Feature Suggestions" not "Does Mirc Do This?...". I'm just putting ideas out there, and how things are is not applicable. I speak heavily on the side of the user, because they are the ones getting the bad end of the stick. An OP is not a God, as some of you seem to imply, and there should be limitations INHERENT IN THE SOFTWARE of what they can do and how they can treat people. I thanks you all for your input, nonetheless.

Last edited by magusat999; 16/08/04 11:41 PM.

At one time the WWW was only for "chat" -
EVOLVE Already!
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
The resolutions offered are very weak, and not really applicable. By the same token that a user gets kicked for a "good reason", I don't think that user will want to come back to a place that's abusive anyway - so why not get the last word?

- By it's very nature 'getting the last word' is as childish as anything can be. Anyone who's so intent on getting the last word is therefore almost certainly deserving of the kicks/bans they receive. And it's impossible for mIRC to implement this even if it was desired (which it absolutely isn't by anyone who has ops on channels which get troublemakers.) - it would require changes in the protocol.

As for the swearing, mIRC and IRC are chat clients. Their purpose is communication. You may have some almighty aversion to swearing, but if that's the case then you should block it on your side. Why should the rest of us who really don't care about it be expected to have our ability to communicate limited because of what you find offensive? Of course there are plenty of people who give other people hell on IRC, but so what? IRC is full of all kinds of people, which means there are proportionally as many jerks on IRC as there are in real life - that's a great deal. Stopping swearing wouldn't stop people being offensive by any stretch of the imagination. Not to mention the issues of what constitutes swearing, what languages, etc. etc..

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
he/she should not be getting verbally abused by some silly bot script (or at all for that matter).

Something being 'deserved' is neither here nor there. It's irrelevant. IRC is not a 'fair' place where everyone is treated properly. Whilst in real life you don't expect the police to kick you on the floor and then swear at you and say being with AOL is lame, IRC is not the real world, and the OPS (not 'cops') of channels can do that all they like - you have the option to leave the channel and never return.

Quote:
I notice that there is a trend to reply with a this is how things are attitude. I thought this was "Feature Suggestions" not "Does Mirc Do This?...". I'm just putting ideas out there, and how things are is not applicable.

This is a feature suggestions board. And the fact you're taking the time to make threads is appreciated, however, when people on the board correct you or suggest things, or inform you of facts, that is to help YOU understand what YOU are talking about. It is not meant as flaming, nor is it meant to put your idea down. It looks to me however, as though you are confused as to the roll of mIRC on IRC and how the IRC world works. Above, you are being informed as to how it works - ops are not special users on IRC, they are specific to channels alone. They can do whatever they want in the channel, provided it complies with the IRC NETWORK'S rules. mIRC has nothing to do with these rules, nothing to do with these ops, their kick messages or their attitudes.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
...I don't think that user will want to come back to a place that's abusive anyway - so why not get the last word?

I'm a regular in a channel on the IrCQ Network (have been for 5 years now) and I've have seen and participated in quite a lot of abusive 'conversations' (I've probably started most of them). By saying that people wouldn't go back to that channel just tells me that you're either relatively new to IRC or you quit rather easily. I've seen people come back time and time again only to be ridiculed more each time. It's usually those who do come back that end up earning the respect of the regular users of that channel and eventually make friends. It's like an initiation of sorts.

I know it sucks, but what are you gonna do? People will always be asses.

T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
Your idea has merit if the person using mIRC is a child under a certain age (you can pick one) but the majority of mirc users are teenagers and adults. Yes the language is questionable at times, it just means you leave the channel with the offending language. For the most part ops and halfops do a pretty good job controlling the language content of their channels. As for kick reasons with abusive language - their channel their kicks... your choice come back or go some place better. Having built in censorship (or even an option for one) does sound *big brother like*. I am my own best censor for whatever language is or is not acceptable to me (and my children - until their grown)

mIRC is very effective as a chat client... mainly used for us users who which to chat online with others.

Just my 2 cents worth! smile

Talea

M
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
M
As I said, you must deal with it:
Op is the master of his room.
You have no rights there (in that channel) unless op gives them to you.
If you don't like that, leave the channel. IT IS HIS (OPS) CHANNNEL (it will always be his, and mIRC can't do anything about it).

velicha dusha moja Gospoda
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
No one is implying that ops are God, the simple fact of the matter is that it is the ops channel, and they can behave as they wish within the guidelines of that network. Just as you can behave as you wish in your own home, and dictate who can and can't be there, the channel is in essence their "home" and users are there at their discretion.

mIRC has nothing to do with how any network, server or channel is run, or how ppl who use the software behave. If someone types a nasty letter to you using MSWord, do you hold MS accountable?

If many users from an ip range cause continuous problems, sometimes the solution is to not allow anyone from that ip. The "innocent" suffer, but dont blame the ops, blame the ppl using your provider who caused the probs to begin with.

Getting the last word in is a waste of time and energy, and pointless. All that does is lead to more squabbling. Its natural to want to defend or explain yourself if you feel unfairly treated, you can msg the op or founder, or leave them a polite memo. But if your goal is to simply get the last insult in, why bother? IRC isnt much different from IRL, there are nice ppl and not so nice ppl. Thats life.

ParaBrat @#mIRCAide DALnet
T
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
T
Quote:
Getting the last word in is a waste of time and energy, and pointless.

While it may be pointless and a waste of time & energy, it is
still very infuriating to be cut off in the middle of an argument
when you're trying to make a point. Like being hung up on
in a telephone conversation, try to call back and the other
party does not answer, I imagine trying to rejoin the channel
only to be banned and queries ignored is pretty much the same.
The truth is .. it's only pointless and a waste of time to those
who have the power to do it (kick/ban, lock threads), take a
look at all the locked threads here, the moderator always gets
the last word in.

Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 17/08/04 11:55 AM.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
If someone types a nasty letter to you using MSWord, do you hold MS accountable?

*giggle* yes, it's all Bill gates' fault! grin

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
i didnt say it wasnt frustrating or infuriating as well as being a waste of energy, but there is a diff between rational debate and an endless loop of flames and insults. When threads are locked, its often to put a stop to that endless intemperate loop and give everyone a much needed chance to take a deep breath, calm down and rethink the need to get the last word in before (or when) things get out of hand.

Its certainly less than amusing to feel wronged and have the other person ignore your efforts to discuss things calmly . When tempers are heated tho, logic goes out the window. Someone trying to get the last insult in only makes the whole issue worse.

P
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
P
*chuckle* but of course. if he didnt offend the sensibilites so often, one could almost feel sorry for bill gates...but not quite grin

T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
I'd still blame Canada smile

Code:
//if ( khaled isgod ) echo yes | else echo no
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
no you wouldnt blame MS, you would blame khaled. khaled is reponsible for everything.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
D
Bowl of petunias
Bowl of petunias
D
lmao can i have the "last word?" lol

Link Copied to Clipboard