mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
Z
zack Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Z
Recently a dangerous exploit was located in popular full script Peace & Protection v4.22 by pai.

The script has been patched and we wish to advise all P&P users to immediately download the latest version available from mircscripts.org.

Sorry, but I will not inform you as to how to perform the exploit for security reasons. Just know that a remote user could execute any arbitrary code to any mIRC client running P&P.

You won't like it when I get angry.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Nice little bug shes got there, doubt anyone with the intelligence to want to exploit it will have the ability to find it though. wink

Eamonn.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
A good example of why it's not always safe to use 3rd party scripts.

Just to reinforce the fact that was clearly made in the first post, this is not an mIRC exploit or any problem with mIRC the program, it is related to the script only.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
Z
zack Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
Z
I'd just like to further point out that this is just a simple mistake that any scripter could have missed or not seen. pai is one of the best scripters (and person) to ever grace the mIRC Scripting scene. Let's hope this doesn't ruin her image at all.

It was merely just a mistake.

You won't like it when I get angry.
T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
I've used PnP for many years and never had any problems with it... the reason why I don't use it now because it's a tad outdated. This exploit is one of those freaky occurances which I doubt Pai deliberately put in.

Talea

Pikka bird
Pikka bird
"I compared the files, and the only file with differences, that I found, is "alias1.mrc". I'm not going to say what the exact differences are, for obvious reasons.. ~_~ So, rather than reinstalling PnP, just replace the alias1.mrc file and it should fix the exploit without overwriting any changes you have made (to other files)."
genius_at_work

Is this good enough? To just overwrite the exsisting said file? shocked

"ytytyt = a lamers' version of asdf"
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't know what the 'exploit' is precisely, and nor do I think it's a good idea to start discussing it here, however, your best bet is to download the latest version from the ms.org archive as suggested above.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard