mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
S
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
S
Hey there

I'm using mirc version 5.61 and cannot upgrade due to my script (it was designed for that version only, tried with other versions but it just wont run).

The problem is that version dosen't support the 'multiple servers' joining thing (the one where you go /server -m irc.server.com)

Is there any way at all i could modify that mirc version to allow it to join multiple servers?

thanks.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
No.

You should not be using an mIRC version that old for the sake of some script. There are plenty of other scripts out there. You could upgrade and then take the time to re-code the script to work for mIRC 6.16. It is totally ridiculous that you are using an mIRC version that old for the sake of a script, but I guess that's up to you.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
OP Offline
S
I've tried alot of scripts but in my opinion, this is the best script ever been out. I'll download the latest mirc version and play around with both, if anyone can help me with it it would be much appreciated.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
We're always here to help you with issues that you have in the latest version of mIRC smile

Naturally, it comes to a point where you need to upgrade...using 5.6 is like using Windows 3.1, it's no longer supported and it's pointless to use it as a home user when there's so much more available! It's worth noting, the look of mIRC has changed considerably from the days of 5.6, and that will take a little getting used to - but you do get used to it, honest!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Not everyone likes to upgrade.

If you do a search, you may be able to come up with some old scripts which added this capability to mIRC.

It can be done using mIRC Sockets, to create socket connections to IRC servers.

I myself used a script for a number of years which had this capability and found it very useful, before mIRC itself was blessed with multi server.

Saying that though, please consider an upgrade of either mIRC or the script you use, you really are missing out! mIRC's multi server is very well applied and much easier to script with than any socket scripts. Socket scripts can't use mIRC's on *:EVENT:'s, so things are a touch slower!

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Might be worth checking the code out, theres not alot of difference in terms of compatibility with the newer versions, the script itself could contain simply checks like;

if ($version != 5.61) { exit }

or whatever, to stop you actually running it there, however the newer versions of mIRC should run the scripts just fine in terms of compatibility.

Eamonn.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
Not everyone likes to upgrade.

That may be so, and as I said, it is ultimately their choice. However, there is a difference between not wanting to upgrade from 6.03 to 6.16, and not upgrading from 5.61 to 6.16 - it's almost 5 years old. Whether it's mIRC or another program or OS, using something which is 5 years old is not a good idea, especially when there have been 17 new releases of a particular program since the version in question!

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
In addition, to suppose what Chris said, there are some serious "bugs/exploits" in the older versions of mIRC.

Eamonn.

S
OP Offline
S
Cheers for that Ddan, I thought I was just going to get insulted by people about my version, like Mentality did.

Hopfully I'll find an addon to enable me to do it.

If you could find one to help me out it'll be awsome.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I was not insulting you, I was advising/informing you. Not only is it unsafe to use old, outdated software on your computer, it's inconvenient for you too - as you can see!

* Mentality sighs

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Mentality is a fair and honest young man, the things he's pointed out to you in this thread are absolutely true, which is why I agreed with him.

As for helping you find what you're looking for, I've had a quick search and so far only found:

http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=54

Try it at your own risk, but that's the kind of thing I was talking about.

Again I would like to agree strongly with the things Mentality said, you should seriously consider upgrading. Earlier versions of mIRC such as the one you are using contain security issues (in some cases) which have been fixed over the years. The 6 series is the most feature packed and stable version I have ever used.

If you'd prefer to use a script, as many people do, there are several full scripts which are worthy of your time:

http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=2444 (merk fx)
http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=1991 (nonamescript)
http://www.mircscripts.org/comments.php?cid=1301 (peace and protection)

They can all be used with mIRC 6.16 and are feature packed.

Hope all of this helps.

S
OP Offline
S
Hey guys thanks for being so helpful smile some seriously awsome people on these forums..

Couldn't find an addon to allow me to join multiple servers on my mirc5.61, so i searched for something similar to "if ($version != 5.61)" in my alias files and found it, changed it to 6.16 and installed my script over 6.16, i cant get the main script menu to work so i copied all the aliases/remote/popup .ini files from my 5.61 folder and added it to the 6.16 folder after I installed my script, now everything works under my settings smile menu still dosent work but my settings are all working, pretty happy now..

ps. Sorry Mentality, you were right from the start..

Also I tried all the scripts you gave me Ddan but i find them quite childish compared to mine wink thanks heaps tho

D
Babel fish
Babel fish
D
Serious work has to be put in to make a socket multi server script.

As for the three full script links I posted, Peace and Protection is the only one I have ever used extensively, I have to say it's a classy script. But it hasnt been updated in a while and is not to everyones tastes.

Glad things worked out for you. I'm sure if you try hard enough you'll overcome that menu problem too wink

Link Copied to Clipboard