mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
i have to say the one thing i really dont like about mirc is the way it handles alternative nicknames. I would like to see an option whereby each time a server sends "Nckname already in use" error during connect, mirc simply appends a "_" to the end of it (and also does some checking to see if the nick being sent is too long and possibly removing chars from the nick before adding the _)

thoughts, comments

-- fez

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Just add the _ to your alternate nickname or write a script that recalls your nickname from NickServ's quarantine or from being used by others.

F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
that is not good enough. I want the client to handle nicks the same way irssi and other respectable clients do. I do not want the _ thing to be the only option, but I do want it to be AN option.

Z
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
Z
Network allowed nickname lengths are only detected after the nickname, username, and whatnot are sent to the server.

You won't like it when I get angry.
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You wont be able to get the max nicklength until after your connected, but whats wrong with using something like

raw 433:*:{ if ($2) { nick $+($2,_) } }

Eamonn.

F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
you can, however, parse the 433 string and see if the server truncated your nickname. if so you can infer the nicklen max.

F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
you people are quick to assume i dont know how to script or read the documentation. Try the scripts you have suggested. mIRC will send a new NICK command regardless of if you have a raw 433 script. Even if you HALT the script.

-- fez

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If both your primary and alternative nicknames are the same mIRC will attempt to change your nickname to the alt, if the primary is in use, and fail, at which time, your mIRC raw' will change your nickname.

Eamonn.

F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
well you're half way there, but I'm still betting you haven't tried your own suggestion... if you set your alternative nickname to be the same as your nickname, then indeed the raw 433 script will kick in. However when the raw 433 script sends the new nick, if it is accepted by the server, then mirc sets the ALTERNATIVE nickname to it, and there is no way to set it back without manually going to options->alternative nickname, etc

There is no way to get the primary nickname using scripts if you're using an "alternative" nick. There is a $anick identifier, however if you're using the alternative nick, then $nick also returns the alternative nick.

If there were something like a $prnick which returned your primary nickname regardless of which you were using, then making a script like you suggested would be FEESIBLE.

Therefore, I believe 3 things should be implemented in the next release...

1. minimally a $prnick type identifier (and /prnick command to set it), and,
2. if the raw 433 script HALTS, then mirc should NOT send the alternate nickname anyway
3. like the original request, an option to have mirc handle "nickname already in use" like irssi

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
/anick exists to set your alternative nickname.

$mnick exists to return your primary nickname.

F
fez Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
F
well that's good to know, but it's still missing a /mnick type command. Furthermore, if you try to make anick and mnick sync by doing /anick $mnick, then mirc will forcibly try to change your nick to $mnick, and, if it is taken, it will NOT set $anick to $mnick.

Therefore, the original request stands...

Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
I would suggest you use tnick instead of nick, because tnick is a temporary nickname that doesn't change the nickname you use in your mIRC settings.

--------
mIRC - fun for all the family (except grandma and grandpa)

Link Copied to Clipboard