Print Thread
#90809 17/07/04 03:39 PM
M
M4C Offline OP
Self-satisified door
OP Offline
Self-satisified door
M
I've got winXP home edition and IE 6.0 and when i use /url or /url -n, mircs freeze. But when i use /run, it's doesn´t happend. Is this a bug? (my english is poor, sorry)

#90810 17/07/04 04:03 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Back in around 6.0 this used to happen to me quite a bit. It hasn't happened to me for as long as I can remember, and I use /url -n a lot, at least 20-30 times a day and mIRC never freezes anymore. I had IE6.0 as a default browser for a long time and didn't experience this, and now that I have Firefox as a default browser I still don't experience it. I have XP Home too, but it didn't happen on XP pro either. The last I clearly remember it occuring was on Windows 98. I don't know why it stopped doing this. Try getting all Windows Updates from www.windowsupdate.com and try running a fresh install of mIRC (Since this stopped happening I have changed computers a couple of times and reinstalled mIRC several times!) Does this happen on a fresh install of mIRC? Does it happen every time you use it? (It didn't always used to do this, just occasionally). Are you sure you're using the latest version of mIRC (6.16) and only downloaded from the official mIRC page?

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#90811 19/07/04 07:50 PM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
Since I updated to 6.16, /run with an URL gave an error message:
Code:
* /run: unable to open 'http://www.everything2.com/?node=foobar' (line 8, hotupe2link.ini)

The link did open in Firefox (my default browser) though. I replaced /run by /url in the script and I don't get the error anymore, but now it opens in Internet Explorer. Doubleclicking URLs no longer opens them in my default browser either, and I really hate to use IE.

I'm running mIRC 6.16 on Windows 2000 Pro. Firefox version is 0.9.2, IE is 6.0.

#90812 19/07/04 08:42 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well you have some sort of script probably using the 'on hotlink' event which is intefering. If you have no uses for it, ALT+R > View > hotupe2link.ini and then File > Unload and press 'OK'. I doubt it's a bug.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#90813 20/07/04 04:24 PM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
It is a script that does just that... Using the 'on hotlink' event to launch a URL. I do have a use for it, and up until now it worked fine with /run.

I believe it's not a /url bug though, it seems as if mIRC 6.16 fails to recognize Firefox as my default browser.

#90814 20/07/04 04:33 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Well if you find the exact way in which /url is buggy please do report it - I find no issues with mIRC 6.16 detecting my default browser as Firefox (0.9.2) and as I said, I use /url -n a lot.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#90815 21/07/04 03:24 PM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
The exact thing that happens (as far as I can judge), is that my mIRC 6.16 opens URLs with Internet Explorer.

It does so when I want to open an URL:
  • /url (scripted or typed by hand)
  • /url -n (scripted or typed by hand)
  • doubleclicking an URL in a channel or query window
  • doubleclicking an URL in the catcher window

It opens URLs with Firefox however when I use /run, in which case it displays
Code:
* /run: unable to open 'www.test.com'
Despite the error, the URL opens just fine, in Firefox.

I did check my Firefox settings and it is undoubtedly my default browser.

#90816 21/07/04 05:54 PM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
I accidentally discovered something else. When I have an instance of Opera 6.05 running, it opens /url addresses in Opera, and no longer in IE.

It also opens /run addresses in Opera instead of Firefox, and no longer gives the error messages I mentioned in my above posts.

Doubleclicked URLs (both channel/query and catcher windows) are still opened in IE.

#90817 21/07/04 09:57 PM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
OK, I tracked that last one down to Opera still handling .url and .xml, when I turned those off I returned to the old problem that they open in IE and not in Firefox (which is now certianly my default browser).

Why do I always notice these things after the deadline for editing my previous post?

O
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
O
Sorry to disappoint you turboke but the /run problem you describe is NOT a mIRC bug, it is caused by a known bug in Firefox 0.9.x and Thunderbird 0.6 as they do not correctly register themselves as default protocol handlers.

If you use the "Run..." dialog in the start menu and enter a URL (http, ftp, https and gopher protocols are all affected) then you will get an error dialog which says "Cannot find the file http://xxx.xxx.tld (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available".

Details of the cause can be found here and a patch, here. Once you apply the registry patch the /run command in mIRC will function correctly as will opening URLs in the explorer shell.

EDIT: Forgot to add my software setup as later versions of Firefox may be fixed. Win2k, mIRC 6.14, Firefox 0.9.1

#90819 19/08/04 09:58 AM
T
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
T
Well, I fixed it. Must've been a configuration problem with Firefox that didn't get solved by reinstalling.

Here's what I did:
  • Closed mIRC.
  • Opened IE, told it to be the default browser, closed it.
  • Opened Firefox, told it to be the default browser, closed it.
  • Rebooted. (Don't know if that was really necessary, but just in case...)
  • Opened mIRC.

Now it works just fine, mIRC recognizes Firefox as my default browser in all situations.

Link Copied to Clipboard