mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#90596 15/07/04 05:47 PM
RuFy Offline OP
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
Hi, i have found this:

When i type in query window //echo -a $address($me,0) it show right, but when i type //echo -a $address($window($active),0) or another nick, it show
* /echo: insufficient parameters

Why this? I think that is an $address bug because $address won't calculate the address in query window. $address work only in who or whois event or something strange event...

#90597 15/07/04 05:51 PM
D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
works fine for me. Most likely the person u are querying isn't in the IAL list, /who them and it should work afterwards.

#90598 15/07/04 07:56 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
If the above suggestion doesnt work, then its a "common bug", although its not so much a bug as an inconvience, use

//echo -a - $address() instead.

With a dash, to prevent you getting the echo error.

Eamonn.

#90599 16/07/04 12:12 AM
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
There's no reason why it would work with a dash but not without it.

The problem is most probably the nick not being in any common channels, which means they're not in Internal Address List. $address() only works for people in your IAL.

/.timerQ 1 0 echo /.timerQ 1 0 $timer(Q).com
#90600 16/07/04 04:03 AM
S
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
S
Note: If the person actually has at least one channel in common with you, and you still get the error, you need to update the IAL : type /who #chan.

#90601 16/07/04 11:13 AM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
You'd be supprised this is relatively common for some reason mIRC gives an error saying theres insufficent parameters to //echo (i.e. $address returns nothing), when infact it does return the correct data adding the dash simply eliminates the echo error so at the very least if it didnt work you'll see a - if it did you'll see the address.

Eamonn.

#90602 16/07/04 11:37 AM
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
You may be talking about //echo <number>. The format of /echo is
echo <color> <switches> <text>
In the case of /echo <number> it gives "insufficient parameters" because <number> is considered a color index, so the command is missing the text. Since the OP used //echo -a , it will always work, because the command is not ambiguous any more: anything following the -a switch must be text. Try it yourself:

//echo $bits
"* /echo: insufficient parameters"

//echo -a $bits
"32"

#90603 16/07/04 12:29 PM
C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
No, i'm not talking about echoing a number i'm talking about the exact command above. :tongue:

In certain instances, in all versions of mIRC the following occurs.

//echo $address($me,5)
* /echo: insufficient parameters
//echo - $address($me,5)
- Coolkill!ck@eamonn.mekaneka.co.uk

But either way, the '-' was there as a precaution, nothing more.

Eamonn.

#90604 16/07/04 01:51 PM
Q
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Q
Nah, there's no such problem, at least not with $address(). The only possibility of getting unpredictable results is if the identifier/variable you're trying to echo begins with a dash, provided that you don't use switches eg this:
//var %a = -blah | echo %a
in which case, %a is considered the switches set. But you won't have this problem with $address(), as a nickname cannot begin with a dash. Of course you're welcome to show me a snippet that reproduces the problem with $address() (or any other ident that returns a string not beginning with "-" for that matter) and prove me wrong smile

Regardless, the command used by the OP already used -a, which means the switch set was already used. What I'm saying is that
//echo $someident
*might* error but
//echo -a $someident
never will. So there absolutely no reason to use
//echo -a - $someident

If you (or anybody else) have the problem you described, it *might* be because of a poorly written /echo alias.

Last edited by qwerty; 16/07/04 01:55 PM.

#90605 16/07/04 05:12 PM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Hi,

I know what you mean. You want to prevent the echo from echoing "null", thus giving the error (same as //echo -a $chr(32)). So you put a - or any text in the echo command, so atleast u don't get the error. I do it often as well, when I'm not sure if I will actually get a result when testing a custom identifier.

However regarding the $address identifier, if the person is in the IAL it should never error, as qwerty pointed out. So if the person is in the IAL, then a - isn't needed, because it will always return the correct result. If the person isn't in the IAL, then it will echo a $null, thus giving the error.

I can only conclude that either the person isn't in the IAL, or he is using a scripted echo alias which is malfunctioning. So he should try it with //!echo instead.

Greets

Gone.

Link Copied to Clipboard