Print Thread
#89651 08/07/04 05:32 PM
T
todd_ Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
I wrote a script to automatically update my servers.ini file whenever a new one is released. Then I got to thinking.. how about updating mIRC itself when a new version comes out? So I searched google.. the first result took me to a post on these boards:

https://forums.mirc.com/showflat.php?Cat=...&fpart=

I understand that mIRC (and a silent install) can be dangerous.. but wouldn't any malicious user with half a brain simply use mirc.exe itself, and not an installer? The installer adds itself to the Add/Remove Programs list and surely adds some registry entries, whereas the regular mirc.exe can be used as-is and be just as malicious without being as obvious.

Therefore, as explained by starbucks_mafia in the aforementioned post, there are no additional negative effects when there is a silent install option.

As far as I can see, there is no harm in adding a silent installation switch for the executable. Please consider it!

- Todd
#89652 09/07/04 11:41 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I can't see any harm in it if there's an option for people who don't want it to turn it off though personally I am not worried about manually updating mIRC. It's not a time-consuming task and manually updating gives you the three options you won't get to choose from each time if you opt for the all-auto yarn.

Link Copied to Clipboard