Print Thread
#89403 06/07/04 09:20 PM
M
Mordido Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
M
Linksys routers, I've been told, are in effect a firewall. Is there anything I must do to make sure my router, which is hooked to a cable modem, make sure it doesn't prevent firewall problems? I had to go to my Linksys website and type in my setup information for some software so the router wouldn't block up and down load. Will that be necessary for mIRC?

Also, how do I set up for a specific site, like #mythic-structure Chat Room, IRC address: chat.hosting4u.net port 6667?

#89404 07/07/04 10:44 PM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
Linksys & mIRC help web page or web page

in any open status window
/server chat.hosting4u.net -j #mythic-structure
or add both to your servers list and Favorites folder
View > Options > Connect > Servers

Favorites folder is the 3rd Icon from the left
type in the channel name click on ADD then EDIT
and look for the option "Join on connect"

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
#89405 08/07/04 04:56 PM
T
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
T
Which Linksys model do you have? They can be considered a firewall because they block open ports. If you haven't modified your port forwarding settings, you have no open ports on the internet (which is a good thing). You'll be protected from viruses such as Sasser that scan the internet for open computers.

Other than that, though, it won't do too much. If you're worried about programs on your computer accessing the internet, try a firewall such as Norton or McAfee (or even Windows XP's built in firewall). They will let you know when something wants access to the internet, what it's doing, etc, but they often take more time setting up.

Hope that helps! smile

- Todd

Link Copied to Clipboard