mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
J
jonat3 Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
J
Hello,i'm new and a total noob with routers and stuff and i've read some faqs, but i haven't found anything that would help me.

Ok, i have a q-tech 4-port broadband router, with 2 computers attached. One of my computers just crashed and that happened to be the computer i could access port 59, etc to access fserves. The other computer cannot access these ports. The reason why remains a mystery for me. I also noticed that when i try to go to 192.168.1.1 with internet explorer (on the still working computer) it says "connection refused". I could access this site on the crashed comp when it was still working, but not on the one still working.

Btw, i had DMZ enabled and i have XP Home on the comp still working and professional on the other.

Can anyone help me configure my comp/router/mirc to access these ports on my computer?

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
sometimes when windows crashes for some reason it resets your IP's
in windows98 the solution was easy you go to Start Run and typed in winipcfg and in the box that appears choose >> More Info then select your Ethernet Adapter from the drop down list, click on [Release All]
wait around 5 seconds and click [Renew All]..assuming your router is running a DHCP server...wich it should be, your Internal IP numbers should resort to 192.168.1.xxx
and you would then be able to access http://192.168.1.1

now XP seems a different kettle of fish <moan groan> i hate the thing, probably 1 of the reasons i moved to linux (end of rant) btw that's a personal opinion i'm not looking to start a distro/os war smile

Anyway as far as i can recall you should look in Network connections window and try to refresh the DHCP lease for your adapter, and hopefully after that you should then be able to access http://192.168.1.1

or try to open up a Dos box..or Start run cmd or cmd.exe and type in ipconfig /renew this might do it.

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I did what you said and did ipconfig /renew, but still wasn't able to access 192.168.1.1. frown

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
have a look at the Ip numbers that XP has designated to your Ethernet Adapters, if they are not 192.168.1.xxx
try manually setting it/them and then see if you can connect to http://192.168.1.1

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
ip-adress 192.168.1.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

seems ok to me.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
If your settings are okay you should try some of the following
on any of the client machines Start > Run
type in ping 192.168.1.1 and see if you can ping your router

Ping uses the ICMP protocol's mandatory ECHO_REQUEST datagram to elicit an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from a host or router,

you should see something like 4 pings
Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data
reply from 192.168.1.1 :bytes 32 and the time it took TTL value

then on each host for example the 192.168.1.2 Start > Run
ping 192.168.1.xx (number of other client) to ensure your PCs can see each other

if you dont get these replies check your network cables
and equipment

run cmd or run cmd.exe and in the Dos box on each computer ipconfig/all will show your full network interfaces Info

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I got responses from 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 (the ip from the working comp). Also i tried accessing 192.168.1.1 with an alternative browser (opera) and i was able to access it. So, it has something to do with IE settings i think. But that still makes me wonder why i can't access the mirc ports 59, etc.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
mircs port 59 is used for DCC server, i'm not sure what you mean by can't access it, normally to turn this on it would be

/dccserver +scf on 59
assuming you want all 3 switches
Send,Chat,Fserve

If you mean forwarding port 59 from your router, you would need to check the port forwarding config in your router, to make sure it's still being forwarded to the proper Internal client IP

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
well, i can connect with mirc, but i can't access fserves that require changing ports. Fserves with port 59 are common and it's a real pain not being able to access them.
Also i enabled DMZ, so there should be no problem with the ports, but i still can't access fserves with port 59, etc. Can't send for that matter either.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
jonat if you cant send files, the problem surely lies at your end, when you initiate a dcc you are asking someone to connect to your PC with the designated port, if you are Absolutely sure your router is forwarding the correct ports, perhaps you are overlooking the inbuilt XP firewall

go to Network connections window, right click on the one you use > Properties > Advanced, uncheck the box that says Protect (IF) indeed it is checked,

Also if you send the wrong IP while trying to initiate a DCC the dcc will fail
A way to stop this happening (On newer versions of mIRC)
is once you log on to the Server type //localinfo -u this will fix any IP mismatch

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Well, i was able to access those ports fine with the first computer before the crash. It's the 2nd computer that can't access those ports. So the port forwarding of the router should be configured fine, though it's strange that 192.168.1.1 can't be accessed from the good comp with IE.

Also i checked the Windows XP firewall sometime ago and just checked it again. It's still disabled. Also,, MIRC has no mismatch. Tried //localinfo -u before.

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
If it helps any, when i use bittorrrent, the status light is always yellow, while bt on the first computer was always green. Clearly something like a firewall is interfering here, but the only thing i can think of is something with the router that has anything like it.

S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
i could be picking you up wrongly here , but
if you are saying for instance you forwarded port 59 to the IP 192.168.1.2 , then by default those ports are already assigned to that Ip

It's like with DCC Chat/send if i have 2 PCs 192.168.1.2 and i forward port 4000-4004 to it (then those ports are taken)
i cannot use them for another PC
for my next client for DCC to work 192.168.1.3 i need to select different ports like 4005-4009

perhaps this is where you are being misled

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet

J
jonat3 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks. You just solved my problem. smile
When i enabled DMZ, i always set 192.168.3 as my DMZ host (which was ip adress of my crashed comp, now that i think about it).I changed it to 192.168.1.2 and now it works. Still strange though, cause when i tried setting to .2, it failed before. Also there was a time i could access ports with both computers. Still need to solve that thing with accessing 192.168.1.1 with IE too and the yellow status light of bittorrent.

Ah well, atleast my main concern is solved. Thanks for your help. smile

K
Mostly harmless
Mostly harmless
K
hello guys/girls im having a problem...
im using Dynalink 100 (router) and im behind a Windows SP2 Firewall (default) and i forwarded the port to 59 and also 1024-5000.....i set my settings to:
Rule Flavor: RDR
IF Name: ALL
Protocol: TCP
Local Address From: 192.168.1.2
Local Address To: 192.168.1.254
Global Address From: 0.0.0.0
Global Address To: 0.0.0.0
Destination Port From: 1024
Destination Port To: 5000
Local Port: 0
but still doesn't work.....even if i turn off my fire wall still doesn't work...... confused

Link Copied to Clipboard