Print Thread
#88310 27/06/04 12:28 AM
B
bunar Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
what is use of "net split detector" when you must be in channel where it happened to "detect it" and when you do, you STILL SEE "user has quit (*.net*.split)"

????
or i am just too stupid to grasp this ?

#88311 27/06/04 12:41 AM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Many people hold the view that netsplit detectors are useless, you're not alone! Some help channels on IRC don't even help with them because they deem them to be 'lame'.

I think the fad is just the fact that it makes mIRC do something automatic, and new users to mIRC think that's funky and cool. Personally, if someone sets them to /echo I see no problem with them as it's sort of like customising mIRC, however, I see no point in sending them to the channel.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#88312 27/06/04 12:53 AM
S
Vogon poet
Vogon poet
S
netsplit detectors will only work if you have what may be termed as a link-looker, they periodically iirc check the /links command but see-ing as /links or /map is disabled on most of the networks that i know, these netsplit detectors tend to be a thing of the past, and most now react after the fact, kinda like Duh........... yeah i know i allready seen it happen blush

ScoT
#mIRC Undernet grin

Give a man a fish feed him for a day, Teach him to fish, feed him for life
#88313 27/06/04 12:59 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Quote:
you STILL SEE "user has quit (*.net*.split)"

- With most you probably do, however one of the few uses for a netsplit detector is to prevent those quit messages and present them all in a single message so your screen doesn't get filled with quit messges. Simply by 'detecting' a netsplit and then caching the nicks of all other quits that occur from that split for the following 5 seconds can make your screen a lot cleaner.

For example instead of this:
[01:47:53] * Quits: JohnDoe (user@moo.co.uk) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)
[01:47:53] * Quits: JaneDoe (user46@moo.org.uk) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)
[01:47:54] * Quits: JoanDoe (us46er@moo.ac.uk) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)
[01:47:54] * Quits: JohnDoh (use346r@moo.jp) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)
[01:47:54] * Quits: JohnSmith (use363r@moo.museum) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)
[01:47:55] * Quits: JackBlack (use3634r@moo.com) (server1.ircnetwork.net server2.ircnetwork.net)

you see something like this:
[01:47:53] * Netsplit between server1.ircnetwork.net and server2.ircnetwork.net occurring...
[01:47:58] * Following nicks lost in netsplit: JaneDoe JoanDoe JoanDoe JohnDoh JohnSmith JackBlack

With large channels and major splits it can make things a lot cleaner.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#88314 27/06/04 01:18 PM
T
Babel fish
Babel fish
T
I have such a netsplit detector using hash tables etc - makes the status screen look a lot cleaner and it's only echoed to me so it doesn't irritate the hell out of other users. To make it public is pretty lame indeed since everyone can figure out all those quits at once is a netsplit.

Just my 2 cents worth... smile

Talea

#88315 27/06/04 02:02 PM
B
bunar Offline OP
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
B
well it dont bothers me too much coz of "filling" my channel windows, i just think itz stupid to make some script and name it as "detector".... ah well i got my answers..

#88316 28/06/04 06:25 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I don't like netsplit detectors either as many of them do send text rather than just echoing to the owner of the script. At the same time I prefer to see all events as they occur.

You make reference to the use of the word 'detector' - Well... That's what a netsplit detector is, as it detects a netsplit.

#88317 28/06/04 10:19 PM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Yeah Ive tried doing that a while ago and it bombed for me. What I wanted is basically what you posted for the exact reason "split-quit flood". I dont suppose you have one that does that do you or more to the point, one you wouldnt mind letting me ahve the code for?

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it
#88318 29/06/04 12:12 AM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well I didn't have anything like that coded, but I just cooked this up. I have no idea if it works or not since I couldn't find a netsplit to test it on (for a change) so buyer beware.
Code:
on *:quit:{
  if (*.* *.* iswm $1-) {
    ; Quit was a result of a netsplit
    if (!$hget(netsplit)) hmake netsplit 10
    elseif (!$hfind(netsplit, $replace($1-,$chr(32),@), 0, w)) timer 1 5 netsplit_show $1-
    ; If hash table 'netsplit' doesn't exist, create it
    ; Else if there are no entries in 'netsplit' for a split between servers $1 & $2 (first detection of this netsplit) then start timer
    var %i = 1, %item
    while $comchan($nick, %i) {
      %item = $replace($1- $ifmatch,$chr(32),@)
      if ($hget(netsplit,%item) == $null) echo -c info $comchan($nick, %i) * Netsplit occurring between $+(,$1,) and $+(,$2,...)
      ; If no item already exists with the name %item (the first detection of this netsplit in this channel) then echo to that channel
      hadd netsplit %item $addtok(%item,$nick,32)
      ; Add this nick to the list of nicks split from this channel
      inc %i
    }
  }
}
alias netsplit_show {
  var %i = 1
  while $hfind(netsplit, $+($replace($1-,$chr(32),@),@*), %i, w) {
    echo -c info $gettok($ifmatch,-1,64) * Following nicks lost in netsplit: $&
      $replace($hget(netsplit,$ifmatch), $chr(32),$+($chr(44),$chr(32)))
    ; For each entry in 'netsplit' matching for the split between servers $1 and $2 echo the list of nicks that have split
    inc %i
  }
  hdel -w netsplit $+($replace($1-,$chr(32),@),@*)
  ; Delete all trace of this netsplit
}

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#88319 29/06/04 12:21 AM
L
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
L
Well I didn't have anything like that coded, but I just cooked this up. I have no idea if it works or not since I couldn't find a netsplit to test it on (for a change) so buyer beware

To use (and change) a phrase, there's never a split around when ya need one lol. Ill have to give it a try tho Ive never used hash tables ever before so this might be a good start

Those who fail history are doomed to repeat it

Link Copied to Clipboard