Print Thread
#87066 16/06/04 01:07 PM
T
Toxik Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
T
The NNS script automaticale does a WHO query on each channel you join, to scan for clones, and that makes me start wondering, how do mIRC know if it was NNS triggered, so it wont show the return values from the server and if it was a command written by the user?
I came up with the idea Message IDs.
You send a WHO query to the server and it responds the same as before, but it appends a message ID to the response, I do not know if this is already implemented and used by mIRC wich would be the most logic explanation, or it could be NNS hiding all WHO responses during a period of time when you join?

Would be real nice to know since I am writing my own client/server...

Thank you // Toxik

Better rule in hell then to serve in heaven.
#87067 16/06/04 01:51 PM
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
That has already been implemented in at least the ircu server software, which Undernet and QuakeNet use. It is called WHOX and also appears in the 005 numeric as such, if supported. For details see here. This extension to the /who command allows you to specify various options, among which a client-defined query identifier.

That said, I'm sure NNS keeps track of which /who queries it made (and which replies to subsequently block) fully at the client side, because mIRC is currently unable to use the WHOX replies to update the IAL (relevant thread here).

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
#87068 16/06/04 03:42 PM
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
If I'm following you correctly then the script probably just keeps a list of the channels for which it's currently waiting for a /who reply from. Then, each time it receives the relevant numerics it checks whether it's for a channel in it's list and if so changes the behaviour accordingly.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
#87069 18/06/04 12:47 PM
T
Toxik Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Is that so...
I ought to read that WHOX reference manual...
Well then thank you, I think I got my answer quite right.

Better rule in hell then to serve in heaven.

Link Copied to Clipboard