mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
#86639 13/06/04 12:30 AM
D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
I fell into this new java desktop thing "Project Looking glass" and I though to my self-wow mIRC would look great in this. With the ability to put chats sideways and look at 3 chats in a different way. I was wondering is there a way to implement this into mIRC with out java? Or would we all have to wait and download "Project Looking glass" later? IF this can be done then don’t you all think it would be neat to have something like this in mIRC. I know I’m gonna look around for more things like this it looks pretty neat.
http://wwws.sun.com/software/looking_glass/details.html

if (Windows isin %txt.1) { /kick # $nick Windows is a badword tisk tisk tisk. }
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Not an expert, but at this time I don't think it's possible. Whilst it would be brilliant to look at it, I question the practicality. But hey, we all know how much looks matter to people! *looks at all the skinning threads*

This kind of windows-handling is going to appear, apparently, in Windows Longhorn as part of the ALT+TAB remake. Perhaps when that comes as standard it would be more practical to start thinking of this. As I said though, I'm no expert, but I doubt this is easy to incorporate, if not impossible altogether.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
ya I dont know how well this could be made eather. I have seen VB scripts that do this but after about 20mins of fooling with it cough it crashes lol. so It can be done. DOnt ask me how. eather way I cant wait till java/window/mIRC gets this going. Think about it opening up mIRC and having it in 3D on your moniter you could be looking at 3 diffrent servers at once and not missing a thing. When you get sick of it you leave or you turn the window sideways and put it over to the side lol. O and another thing, Is there any plans on adding in a basic firewall to mIRC? maby something that would just pick up people trying to access your pc and tell you. I know its not hard but It would take up alot of room. Just wanted to ask.

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
Is there any plans on adding in a basic firewall to mIRC?

As you may know already Khaled very rarely releases information about what will appear in the next version of mIRC. Apart from the fact UTF-8 Unicode is on his to-do list I haven't heard anything else. Personally, I don't see a built-in firewall ever being packaged with mIRC.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
S
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
S
Well I haven't actually used Project Looking Glass or any of the other 3D-window environment systems there are, but it seems to me that current input devices for computers simply aren't suited to 3D manipulation. I mean sure, a mouse with a mousewheel theoretically provides 3D manipulation, but it's hardly intuitive. The main thing about a 3D workspace seems to be that inactive windows can be turned sideways with information on their 'spine' so they can easily be identified, but I've yet to see how this is any better than a 2D taskbar which is essentially the same thing only less resource intensive.

Spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and stupid comments are intentional.
D
Vogon poet
OP Offline
Vogon poet
D
Mentality: Thanks for the info I kinda figured mIRC wouldent have a firewall built into it I was just wondering.

starbucks_mafia: ya but wouldent it be cool to make it all work and have the ability to turn your windows to make room for more. Project Looking Glass isent done yet right? from what iv seen there stll testing it and fixing bugs.

Link Copied to Clipboard