Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
areels Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
For years... we're still seeing @ for ops, + for voices, and we're still in 16 colors...

I HATE THAT! can'T resist anymore! I WANT A COOOL INTERFACE!@$ damn...

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I'm someone who uses the default mIRC classic style. It suits me just fine. I was playing around with fonts the other day actually (which is so much easier due to the new -z switch with /font grin) and still think Fixedsys is the best font, although some others I did like.

The subject of the way mIRC looks is a heated one. I don't see what all the fuss is about personally, I couldn't care less what a program looks like..why does it matter? It's not like you're taking it for walks on the street or in a fashion parade or something. I guess some people like to have aesthetically pleasing programs though if they use them all the time, which I respect completely...

However, as I have said before, I think mIRC accomodates this very well. I don't understand the need for more than 16 colours..*shrugs* - there's a few pre-made schemes and you can edit the colours for everything, you can edit the switchbar position, the toolbar buttons, which bars to display and which to hide, everything matches whatever Windows theme you have, resize the windows, change the font, change the tray icon, DLLs can be used to further develop the look...I think the only things which people who I can only describe as obsessed want is the ability to change things like the order of the options dialog buttons and so on. As this has been asked for so many times in the past, all I can say is "wait and see".

For me personally, mIRC is fine the way it is and has more than enough customisable features.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
change is good. just to bad most people are afraid of such things

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I don't think people are afraid of change as such, I just think people want justification for it. Provided something can look how they want, people will be fine with added customisable looks. From my perspective, I'm happy for Khaled to add as many feature changes as he likes, provided I can maintain the way I want mIRC to look, the classic way. I'm not afraid that Khaled might change mIRC to look a little different, or change mIRC so people can make it look different though.

areels: Something I'd like to pick up on after looking at this thread again, the subject says you don't care about mIRC's stability? Well...I have to say I think that's a silly comment to make. That's like, "I want a really really great ferarri, I don't care if it hasn't got an engine!"
I think for most people they are more concerned with mIRC working smoothly than how it looks. Yet another example of Khaled being stuck in a rock and a hard place - Turn attention to how mIRC looks and you'd get threads saying "I don't care how mIRC looks, I want some stability PLEASE!!!!"

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
A
areels Offline OP
Ameglian cow
OP Offline
Ameglian cow
A
yes , i want a ferrari with a fiat engine , i just want skin support for mirc then you can stay happy with classic interface and i can be happy with new skin, and i don't care that skin will reduce stability...

So we both can happy... I'm telling that no importance of stability because of i think khaled is not adding skinning abilites for stability problems..

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Quote:
i think khaled is not adding skinning abilites for stability problems..

On the other hand, it's possible he's not adding even MORE abilities to change how mIRC looks (just about everything can be changed, see /help /background too!) because he's not going to, or doesn't want to?

Who knows, we'll have to wait and see for the next major version, or the major version after that.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
A
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
A
Let us not forget the overwhelming responses of appreciation Khaled has received in the past almost any time he has made even the slightest change in mIRC's appearance.

C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
Why would you want a cool IRC client? mIRC is nothing but a commonly used IRC program where you may spend hours of your day... mIRC is there to allow you to chat with others; i don't think that while chatting i would care about the GUI. As long as I can send and get text, everything's great. I wouldn't care about the GUI, not unitl all the bugs are fixed and mIRC is REALLY stable... Even then, good GUI would be a waste of coding time.

My ally is the compiler, and a powerful ally it is!
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
yes , i want a ferrari with a fiat engine , i just want skin support for mirc then you can stay happy with classic interface and i can be happy with new skin, and i don't care that skin will reduce stability...

The priorities are in the wrong order. Personally I would prefer stability to be priority number one and I am glad that the effort in the last unpgrade has focused on this.

Make sure stability is good, then worry about what the programme looks like. Having said that I like mIRC the way it is. That said, 'looks' is a matter of people's individual opinions. mIRC is neither good or bad simply because of what it looks like.

N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
mIRC IS stable. i have not seen anything major fixed. usually just better scripting capabilities added.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
C
Babel fish
Babel fish
C
I never mentioned that mIRC isn't stable. Actually IMO nothing can be perfectly stable, therefore you can always try to make your programs as stable as possible smile

My ally is the compiler, and a powerful ally it is!
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
I wouldn't care about the GUI, not unitl all the bugs are fixed and mIRC is REALLY stable... Even then, good GUI would be a waste of coding time.

my reply was directed to this statement.^

IMO mirc is stable enough to start coding a gui. no exploits, no problems.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
From my perspective, I'm happy for Khaled to add as many feature changes as he likes, provided I can maintain the way I want mIRC to look, the classic way.

I have to agree with that. I like mIRC like it is, I'm still using fixedsys, etc... if skinning abilities are added (though how mIRC looks can already be changed, with DLLs and suchlike), I don't care, as long as I can still make it look like mIRC classic.

I think "I don't want stable mIRC, I want good looking mIRC" is dumb though. I'd rather have a plain-looking program that does what I want it to do and doesn't crash on me than a flashy program with all the bells and whistles that crashes if I look at it wrong.

Unknown error. (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer?
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
I want good looking mIRC" is dumb though. I'd rather have a plain-looking program that does what I want it to do and doesn't crash on me than a flashy program with all the bells and whistles that crashes if I look at it wrong.

why not have both? as in stable AND skinnable.

Last edited by NightCrawler8283; 06/06/04 05:03 PM.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
That works. As I said, I'm not opposed to mIRC being skinnable if 1. it's stable, 2. I can still make it look like classic mIRC.

Unknown error. (A)bort, (R)etry, (I)nfluence with large hammer?
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
SK1NZ R0XX0RZZZ :tongue: grin grin grin grin grin grin :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
B
Pikka bird
Pikka bird
B
leave mIRC the way it is. I love using it the way it comes plain. I tried invision and it sucks.

I'm old fashion. if something on the way it looks changes I'll stop using mIRC.

alot of people like their mIRC plain I know a few people that just like it plain and simple

P
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
P
Form before function or function before form?

One of the great unresolved arguments in architecture since the early Twentieth Century, so I somehow doubt we're going to reach any agreement here... grin

PM

IRCnet & DALnet @#travelersinn
:-: IRC for fun and relaxation :-:
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
why not FFuonrcmtion ? you dont lose anything by adding a feature with on/off switch.

http://MTec89Net.com
irc.freenode.net #MTec89Net
Sat Offline
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Sure you do: time. And in the case of adding a skin system, lots of time. Time you could also use to add new/improved functionality instead.

Saturn, QuakeNet staff
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard