mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
K
kibou Offline OP
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
K
When I was new to IRC and first learned what ident is, I tried all night to get it to resolve, and in the end I finally figured out it was my router (God, I was so blind). I my IP in the DMZ just to test, and my ident resolved fine. I decided to leave it there since my parents don't need to use it (or even know what it is), and I did for a while. Eventually I took it out and used port forwarding and that still worked. Over time, things would happen that would cause it not to resolve, like when my LAN IP would go from *.100 to *.101, or my WAN IP would change, so I learned as I went and I always got it resolving again. Then one day I woke up and saw I'd been disconnected over night, and my ident hadn't resolved when IRC reconnected. That was months ago and to this day it still doesn't resolve. I even unhooked the cable from the router and plugged it directly into my computer, with no firewall or any AV or anything of the sort running, and quadruple-checked my IRC settings, and my ident still wouldn't and will not resolve. It isn't a big deal anymore because to get any services or bots to recognize me I've just removed the first letter from my ident, but it's really rather annoying and I've given up on attempting to find the source of the problem.

Does anybody have even an idea of what may be preventing it from resolving? Any attempt at helping is appreciated. Thanks.

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Same problem. I didnt care enough to think about it though. I know all about ident but for some reason i cant get it working. The port is open, i have ident enabled, and "show requests" enabled, but it never shows any requests even.

About me:

linksys wireless-b router (ip in dmz etc, no prob with router settings)
windows 98
comcast cable (ISP)
mirc 6.14

Well i noticed a lot of other people asking about this problem, many seem like they know what theyre doing and are still stumped as we are. I'm wondering if my ISP is filtering the port, be sure to list your isp.

Last edited by anus; 07/06/04 10:46 AM.
I
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I
Are you using a firewall? (It may be blocking the identd requests)

Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
no firewall

Link Copied to Clipboard