mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
i dont know how it works. i dont even know if its possible. but i just thought of it.

maybe add a feature to mirc where a user types in a command followed by a search topic. like when u type /help topic maybe have something that will search the mirc.com forums for certain topics. maybe have a search bar in mirc for it. dunno. feedback?

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
<whoops>

Sorry, didn't notice you were suggesting an mIRC feature, saw the mirc.com bit and assumed you were talking about the forums!

Perhaps a switch could be added to the /help command to search the website...although this is scriptable with sockets I should imagine. Not a bad idea, but I don't know how realistic it is.

Regards,

Last edited by Mentality; 27/05/04 08:09 PM.

Mentality/Chris
N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
i do believe there is a way to tap into the SQL database and search for certain things. this would not make a mess of the web based forum in anyway. at least i dont believe so. since you will not be able to write to the database.

anyway. this is something i believe would save a lot of people time. and would greatly help out the mirc community as far as troubleshooting their problems.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
This would require each user to have SQL or MySQL installed on their local machine and would only be useful if logging were turned on and they were online 24/7 and were in all rooms on a server and ...

Naw, too many and s.

If you are asking to have mIRC search the forums for information, they are not the same client and do not share the same "space". I run a web site with both a forum and a chat server and the server is on a different host entirely due to security problems inherent in chat servers.

I would immagine it would be like getting an elephant pregnant. There would be a lot of loud noise followed by 12 months of labor and the end product wouldn't necessarily be what you expected.

N
Fjord artisan
OP Offline
Fjord artisan
N
LOL.. good analogy. i see your point. but it was still a good idea while it lasted. maybe one day this will work.

-Nick (Darko)
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
C
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
C
Geesh its not that hard smile No need for SQL insanery, if you want to go nuts perhaps RDF is what you are looking for.

Its not hard to script this in mIRC. Its a matter of simply submitting to the search page with the relevant query embedded in the URI: Most people who work with websites could do this in their sleep.

Good idea for a script. Searching google to find posts on this board is probably even better: just use the keywords "site:forums.mirc.com+your+search"

Links of interest: Search Engine Optimisation for mIRC Forums: How you can help

Link Copied to Clipboard