Print Thread
W
Waldfee Offline OP
Mostly harmless
OP Offline
Mostly harmless
W
Hi!

I recently tried out Suse Linux and had to use X-Chat.
I was not impressed, but now back in mIRC there is one feature I terribly miss:
The dividing rule between the nick and the text. Here's a screenshot to clarify what I mean: http://xchat.org/files/screenshots/xc208xp.png
This seperator makes reading the actual text much easier and eye-friendly in comparison to mIRC.

is there a slight chance to see this feature in forthcoming versions of mIRC?

thanks in advance

M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
Whew, I can see why you weren't impressed! *grin*

I think that's quite a nice suggestion and would be useful for some. Perhaps put under the 'Visual Styles' button in options... There are various scriptable possibilties to make it easier to separate the <nick> from the text. See this thread.

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
to add on to this. though it has its good points. lets look at some bad points of it.

i use Xchat at work cause mirc takes to long to hide from the boss.

anyway. i liked the feature of the nick divider. BUT then i notice that the larger the nickname the farther over the rule moves. making small amounts of text look huge after the wrap around. and when u try to move the rule back to where it was. the text stays the same but now the rule goes over the nick.

this can be extremely annoying when you dont feel like leaving a room. not that that would help at all anyway. BUT to further the suggestion. i think mentality went through this. forget. but anyways. make it an option that can be turned off/on. so as to avoid this issue. and when its on and u come across the issue i described. you can turn it off and the text will go back to normal.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Quote:
i use Xchat at work cause mirc takes to long to hide from the boss.

Just out of curiosity, Why is mIRC harder to hide from your boss?

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
General reply:

What's wrong with xchat? It's a lovely little client that's not filled with clutter that you're not likely to use. It looks great under Linux with nice antialiased fonts.

Re: the suggestion: as nightcrawler said, the nickname margin can be a tad annoying when long nicknames are involved. Perhaps an adjustable nickname truncation function could be implementied for nicks that are stupidly long, so that you don't have to keep adjusting the margin.

Z
zac Offline
Ameglian cow
Ameglian cow
Z
It's horribly buggy, and the scripting support has horrible problems. The commands are inconsistant, and are horribly inefficient. The C interface can't handle more than X args to a /command, and the Perl interface crashes if you try to reload it under certain situations.

This is among the many complaints one can have for xchat.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
I have to say that while I wouldn't use it (as I have the nicklist on the left hand side and therefore it would look silly and confusing to have a nicknames margin like X Chat has) it's probably worth adding as many use X Chat because of that sort of feature. Having said that though it is the first thing I turn off when I try new versions of X Chat.

D
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
D
Ok, they are complaints concerning areas I wouldn't venture into, as I'm not a C programmer nor do I use scripts with xchat except for one sysinfo script. So I wouldn't have come across them.

However, inconsistent commands? I've not noticed that, nor have I found xchat to be really buggy. I genuinely cannot recall a time xchat has crashed on my Debian (Sarge) box.

Oh well, each to their own laugh

S
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
S
Those down-sides that NightCrawler mentions all sound like implementation problems.

It could be a nice feature. Apart from XChatters being used to it, I remember trying to help several people implement something similar in custom windows - it seems to be a popular enough feature that it would add to the general appeal of mIRC.

I would class it as an optional extra, but it is relatively difficult to script nicely; perhaps adding it to the code wouldn't create too much 'extra baggage'.

Sais
J
Jae Offline
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
J
Yet no-one thought of either wrapping the nickname, or even making the font of longer nicknames smaller as to fit it in.. i know you may say. but some people with poor eye sign wont be able to read it.. but maybe they wont mind just setting it to show wrapped or just a bit of a nick missing?

Cheers!

C
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
C
Quote:
maybe they wont mind just setting it to show wrapped or just a bit of a nick missing?

If implemented as an option, why not also add the option to limit the nick length displayed?

Not sure I'd use it, but ...

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person. wink
N
Fjord artisan
Fjord artisan
N
Quote:
Just out of curiosity, Why is mIRC harder to hide from your boss

its a shitty computer and mirc uses more cpu than xchat. so if it dont close the moment i hit the x then i cant use it here :P

Last edited by NightCrawler8283; 28/05/04 12:19 AM.

-Nick (Darko)
-Admin irc.aussiechat.org
-#Chatzone, #helpdesk
R
Self-satisified door
Self-satisified door
R
Yep, this in mIRC would be almost breath taking.

oh and btw, take a look at *this*

Link Copied to Clipboard