farcus Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
i'm use mirc 6.12 and everything is almost fine
i can connect to sites but when i start to download a large file
fast, after awhile my whole computer disconnects from the internet
this never happened before, it just started to happen recently?
i'm using winxp and adsl too
i can't use the internet until i reboot. then everythings fine again.
i tested everything and i think it's a problem with mirc
i have no firewalls on
other download programs still works fine
does anyone know what's wrong, thanks.

#83784 22/05/04 05:34 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Um just thought you outta know, mIRC is NOT a download program. mIRC is for chatting. It supports the ability to send and receive small "legit and legal" files such as documents or pictures. My assumption is that you probably downloaded a virus or trojan that allows your computer to crash. I may not be right but it is a possibility.

Now with that out of the way, have you ran multiple anti-virus/trojan scanners to check for any possible viruses/trojans?Also, try using the Search Feature on this forum regarding your problem? Try searching under the Keywords: Downloading and/or Disconnect and also XDCC and search "All Posts and All Forums".

Last edited by The_Game; 22/05/04 05:35 PM.
#83785 22/05/04 08:52 PM
F
farcus Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
to The Game, I didn't say mirc is a download program, and what there's not legal large files that you can download? like demos? trailers?
it's not a virus, i checked.
if you are not going to help, plz do not respond.

#83786 22/05/04 11:58 PM
M
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
M
I think it is perfectly understandable that people are going to assume you're mass/illegal file trading when you associate the word "download" with a program that is not for downloading files. The policy on this board says help is not to be given to people who wish to use the information for illegal purposes such as illegally file trading - and quite rightly so. Due to the obscenely large amount of people that come here complacently using words like "how do I get movies" and "how do I download with this?", it is hard to assume when someone says their going to a website and starting to download large files that it's perfectly legal.

Now, what has downloading from a website got to do with IRC/mIRC anyway? The only websites I know of that provide irc:// links to download files is packetnews/ircspy - both of which provide illegal file links.

Furthermore, trailers/demos can, within law, only be distributed by the makers/creators/authors of said trailers/demos - I don't know of a company that would release them on IRC with irc:// links...it's like Microsoft have demo games (i.e. Zoo Tycoon) - they release them from their website. Every movie trailer I've witnessed uses Windows Media Player or Internet Explorer to play, most websites don't make people download the trailer simply because it's less convenient. Your wording also implies you're regularly downloading files...how many people constantly download demos/trailers off of websites that use irc:// links to legally distribute their own creations over IRC? Not many I'd wager.

Now, The_Game suggested you use the search feature, and the reason for that is, people have issues with DCC all the time so using that is your best bet to see if others problems will help you. This forum is a bit like a library, use it as a reference and then write a new book if the problem doesn't already exist.

By the way, please do not cross post. It causes confusion and irritation to people, which is completely unnecessary. If you post in one forum, someone will answer your post as soon as possible smile (For the interest of others, the other thread started is here)

I too would suggest using the search feature, aswell as explaining exactly what downloading from a legitimate website has to do with mIRC (i.e. does it use irc:// links as aforementioned). It's important to keep in mind that the DCC protocol and mIRC were never built to handle very large files on a continuous basis. If you're downloading say 3 400MB files, then try and release the load a little.

G'luck smile

Regards,

Mentality/Chris
#83787 23/05/04 04:25 AM
F
farcus Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
<post deleted by moderator>

Last edited by ParaBrat; 24/05/04 10:46 PM.
#83788 23/05/04 06:56 AM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Insults will get you nowhere on this forum. This tends to bring in other members into this discussion and would eventually lead to one of the moderators to lock this thread. If you are not willing to take what was stated or suggested into consideration, then its simply your loss.

Based upon what was said, anytime somebody mentions download on this forum, 9 times out of 10 the person is looking to download illegal content. This is something that is frowned upon this forum. Which is why help is rarely given. mIRC is a chat client not a P2P download program.

Try what was suggested and see what you come up with...

#83789 23/05/04 11:06 AM
F
farcus Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
i'm sorry, we all live in a perfect world where no one downloads anything illegal. i'm sure you never downloaded any thing illegal in your life. what do you chat about using mirc?, i really want to know. anyway, i thought this was a help forum, not a judgement forum. i've already tried those suggestions before i posted this. if you can't help plz do not waste your time replying.

#83790 23/05/04 11:24 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
1. Your question was answered adequately.
2. No-one is telling you not to do anything bad. Just suggesting that IRC is not the place to do it.
3. People, including The Game, can reply to any post they see fit and within the rules, in any way they see fit. They don't need your permission.

#83791 24/05/04 07:40 AM
F
farcus Offline OP
Pikka bird
OP Offline
Pikka bird
F
hey, if you think " if you have a problem try the search feature" is a solution, good for you, but it didn't help me.
that's why i said PLEASE, if you can't help don't reply.

#83792 24/05/04 11:32 AM
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
Using the search engine is a good idea. Alot of people have trouble with DCC, especially if they are on a home network and constrained by anti hacking technologies such as Network Address Translation (NAT) and Stateful Packet Insprection (SPI).

That aside you may also (for all we know) be running a home network using a computer as a switch and that combined with ADSL is a pain in the backside because you then have to stuff around with registry settings to alter the machine's MTU settings otherwise the bandwidth is like a piece of cotton. NOTE: Editing the system registry is not for beginners.

If your machine is running alone then I am not sure what it could be, but remember that DCC is a piece of crap at the best of times. It simply is not meant for big files, as you were told before. It is meant for small files, so while someone may have a workaround that none of us have thought of, it simply isn't a real solution. Why? Because there isn't one. You are clearly using DCC for something that it WAS NOT designed for, regardless of whether the files you are getting are legal or not.

#83793 24/05/04 06:37 PM
T
Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
T
Quote:
what do you chat about using mirc?, i really want to know.

Well since you are playing "parent" here and demanding what I use mIRC for, I will tell you...I CHAT! You know talk about just about any and everything I want to chat about. And I also use it to talk to my girlfriend, who happens to live across country. Since I moved away from her, and until she can move up with me, we use mIRC to cut down on long distance phone calls.

And of course this isn't a judgement forum. All that I said was 9 times out of 10 people who come here and utter the word "Download" or something similar but only worded in a subtle way, they are more than likely looking to acquire illegal software/media. Many here don't like to help others break the laws (depending on jurisdiction and copyright laws). I don't know what you are downloading and I don't care. All I said was mIRC wasn't built to handle large downloads as it is a (here it comes again) chat client.

You were pretty much helped so the purpose of this forum has held up to the standard. I am sorry you didn't find what you are looking for. Maybe someone else will step up and try to help you out but you are guaranteed nothing. Just be glad someone at least attempted to...

So I will end it here and not fuel an argument for others to get in on and force this thread to be locked. I will not reply again to you as I cannot help you with your situation. I gave it my best shot by suggesting a few things which turned out to not be of any help.

So on that note, I hope you find what you are looking for and that you get your problem straightened out. Anyway, good luck to you.

Link Copied to Clipboard