mIRC Home    About    Download    Register    News    Help

Print Thread
M
Nutrimatic drinks dispenser
OP Offline
M
I installed yesterday on both my Windows XP Pro (1 English, 1 Dutch version) machines a Windows update. I believe that the the update in question was KB840374.

Today i got on both machines the following on connect:
Application Failure mirc.exe 6.1.4.0 in ws2_32.dll 5.1.2600.0 at offset 00008d72

(yes i know, been reported before, but maybe different address, and never solved afaik)

After long experimenting with both mIRC versions 6.12 and 6.14, going back to restore points, uninstalling updates etc. i found out how to solve it:

In the mirc.ini under [options], n2= change the 5th value to "0" and i can connect normal again, no more crashes.
Don't know however what the 5th options actually does.

Hoopy frood
Hoopy frood
The 5th item in the n2 line refers to the look up method in the Local Info section of the Options/Connect dialog. I can't think of any reason why it should cause mIRC to crash, the same method has been used to look up the local host and ip address for many years.

I tried turning the local info setting on and off in mIRC and experienced no crashes here, also running under Windows XP Pro SP1 with all of the latest patches, including KB840374. At a guess, the issue may be due to a conflict of some sort in your Windows installation relating to network/firewall/anti-virus/etc. software.

If you install a new copy of mIRC into a clean empty folder with no scripts, etc. and then test different Local Info settings, does this clean copy of mIRC also crash?

M
OP Offline
M
Info: I connect to an IRC-server on port 8080

Installed clean copy 6.14 using installer, minimum config.

Clean install: Crash on connect

Lookup to Server, Local host ON, IP ON: Crash
Lookup to Server, Local host OFF, IP ON: No Crash
Lookup to Server, Local host OFF, IP OFF: No Crash

Lookup to Normal, Local host ON, IP ON: No Crash
Lookup to Normal, Local host OFF, IP ON: No Crash
Lookup to Normal, Local host OFF, IP OFF: No Crash

Version of ws2_32.dll: 5.1.2600.0 and 5.1.2600.1240 (tested both on different systems)

Both running XP Pro SP1, with up2date Windows Updates. One machine have a lot of extra's installed, one is almost clean, not even software firewall, only virusscanner (McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 7.0).

I am testing this on a company network behind multiple Firewalls (hardware), NAT,

M
OP Offline
M
I can confirm that version 6.15 don't crash anymore.

Thanks

M
M
I'm still having the problem. When the crash dialog comes up, clicking "view details" gives me:

AppName: mirc.exe AppVer: 6.1.5.0 ModName: ws2_32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.1240 Offset: 00003b2c

mIRC continues to work just fine until I either click "Send" or "Don't Send", which causes mIRC to exit.

Since mIRC works fine even while the crash dialog is on the screen, it looks like whatever the problem is, it's happening in an unimportant system call. If it's possible to trace back from this address to the code in mIRC that's executing the DLL code, then maybe it could either be disabled, or maybe the same result could be achieved with a different DLL call or by equivalent application code.

Link Copied to Clipboard